Our partner

Do borderlines suffer more than people with other disorders?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Do borderlines suffer more than people with other disorders?

Postby mirracle4 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:41 am

I was wondering, do you guys think that people with BPD, in general, suffer more than people with other disorders? Is it even possible to compare or rank disorders by level of severity? For example, would you say that BPD is more severe of a disorder than PTSD? DID? NPD? Depressive disorders? Generalized anxiety disorder? Or is it impossible to know and depends highly on the individual’s particular level of impairement and particular symptoms at a specific point in time?

I know, for example, that people with BPD can suffer from depression (in addition to other symptoms related to BPD), but does that necessarily mean that BPD is always more severe (or causes more suffering) than depression on its own? I just wanted to get some opinions.
mirracle4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do borderlines suffer more than people with other disorders?

Postby jaus tail » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:18 am

to be honest i think everyone thinks that their suffering is the worst. i dont think one can compare suffering. sure the pain of a severe ailment is more than the discomfort of common cold.

i think many pds sort of overlap or the symptoms overlap. speaking for myself i got anxiety, depression, anxiety issues, dissociation. i think of all of them dissociation n anger issues are worst cause they put me in dangerous situations.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 am

Postby sickofbeinginvalid » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 pm

In some ways, yes. I believe Borderline in general is the most misunderstood mental illness out there. I also believe because we feel things so intensely and on a different level than most, it’s difficult for people to see our point of view. Borderline also kind of runs the gamut for all the personality disorders so a lot of us have traits from every single disorder. Also I think because it’s a personality disorder it’s all consuming and more consistent than say depression or even bipolar.

A lot of people may argue schizophrenics have it worse, but at least with schizophrenia there are meds to help calm the voices down. With BPD, there are no meds... it’s all DBT therapy.
sickofbeinginvalid
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:14 am

Postby Una+ » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:52 pm

No. Borderlines do not suffer more than others. Nor do they suffer less. The diagnostic categories are all about the kind of suffering or dysfunction, not its severity.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.

Is your dx DID (or MPD/DDNOS/OSDD)? Join the 2017 survey: Time to diagnosis?
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 am

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post