Our partner

Still borderline?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Still borderline?

Postby angel1998 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 pm

I was just wondering if one could still be diagnosed as borderline without having the "key" symptom, that is having intense and unstable relationships. Can you have bpd but not get into relationships at all? And instead of acting obsessive, being more closed off?

Because I recognise myself in nearly all the other symptoms.
- I have weird mood swings and periods of extreme sadness and instability
- I'm impulsive (drinking, unprotected hookups, skipping classes, generally doing stupid things)
- unstable self image, self esteem changing randomly, problems with identity
- I self harm, recently more
- I'm quick to feel abandoned and I think I'd just drop if I got rejected. I'm very sensitive.
- I have anger issues but only at home.
The thing is, I'm a completely closed person. Deep rooted problems. That's why I never get into any relationships. I don't even really have friends, I emotionally isolate plus my self esteem is incredibly bad most of the time. I'm constantly burdened by how people see me, especially my face. I'm always afraid I'm too much, I say sorry for taking up space..
I don't connect with people.
That would probably be weird for a borderline.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I feel so unstable. I'm miserable and I feel so alone. I've been cutting myself more lately and I kind of overdosed on wellbutrin a couple of days ago, I think I still feel a bit weird.. I'm mixing stuff that shouldn't be mixed.

I've called my shrink to get an emergency appointment twice this week and never went. But I really am going tomorrow..

Was just wondering if it's possible to be borderline without actually having any relationships at all.
Thank you :)
angel1998
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Still borderline?

Postby Akuma » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Can you have bpd but not get into relationships at all? And instead of acting obsessive, being more closed off?

Absolutely. Contrary to popular belief BPD is not necessarily showing in its cliché way nor easy to diagnose. When I read your post, you are textbook BPD though.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Still borderline?

Postby kah80 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:32 pm

If you isolate to avoid abandonment, which it sounds like you do, that’s a very BPD trait.
kah80
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post