Our partner

Considering dropping out of DBT

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Considering dropping out of DBT

Postby Sjord » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm in a bad place right now, and have been for the last few weeks. I've been in DBT therapy for almost three months now. My heart's not in it, I don't want to go and my motivation is zero. Yet I'm scared of what'll happen if I quit, I'll be left with nothing again.
But I can't get a grasp of what I'm supposed to do with the homework, I don't get or don't agree with the basic DBT mindset, at least not now when my mood is so low.
The areas where I would need the most help I can't even tell them about because that would put me in a position in which they would have the power to block me.
I feel like a total fraud, I go there and tell them this and that and then I go home and continue in my self destructive path.
I was supposed to go to a concert last week, I'd been looking forward to it since the tickets were released. And on the day the concert was, I was completely crushed by my anxiety, which have hightened a lot lately, and I was unable to go. That failiure took the last pieces of hope away from me.
Even if I do end up following through with DBT, what life am I supposed to have? I can't stop thinking there is no future.
Anyway, I don't know. There's so much more to it, but that would make a bad rambling novel. I've rambled on enough as it is.
Sjord
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Considering dropping out of DBT

Postby alostlemon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:59 am

I totally feel you man. I'm about as far in. I don't know if you're like me, but the amount of cycles of failing and starting over with the new, healthy, happy me is just getting really old. I totally get, also, about how the DBT ideas are attractive when you're feeling good, and almost unusable when you fall.

BUT , it's considered a long-term, committed treatment for a reason. Some parts of ourselves that are really not helpful, feel like something that can never go away, but are really down to years of habit. I do think if you have a care worker or someone that you also have one-on-ones with to help apply smaller goals to your life and go through homework with you, the process could become better. Especially when you feel you have 'darker parts of you', or 'failiures' that you feel you can't discuss in group.

Also, it can't hurt to have a place to go, to talk about the things that probably hound your head anyway. To focus your attention to what things you can control.

I hope you can stick through it, I'm going to try stick with it too. :)
alostlemon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:07 pm

Postby Sjord » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm glad i'm not alone, although I wish I was so you didn't have to feel this way.

It's getting really bad. My head is just screaming "get out!".

I have nobody to talk to, everything is going round and round in circles in my head and I'm tired.

Thank you again for you reply. I hope you can stick through it and that it helps you.
Sjord
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:07 am

Postby stormchasereight1989 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 am

I know it can be rough at times, but I encourage you to stick with DBT, if you are able. It took me about a year and a half of DBT before it finally took hold. But when it did it was a revelation, on several fronts. It works, if you can stick it out. I'm pulling for you!
stormchasereight1989
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:07 am

Postby hope1824 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:35 pm

I did 9 months of dbt, but due to funding my DBT got cut and I was left feeling half way there. There were times I felt like giving up and I asked myself if this was really working, I also untill this day do not completely understand everything about dbt myself. But the 9 months were worth it and if anything I am so much more aware of my emotions. You do have set backs, bad days and times where you don't always use your skills. DBT may not work for everyone but is it worth finding out if it is for you? I hope you find the inner strength to continue your recovery.

-- Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 pm --

Also I recommend reading up on lots of DBT books, this will help you to gain further knowledge whilst practising participating and distraction.
hope1824
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:07 am

Postby alostlemon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:11 pm

So lovely to read all this encouragement!! I'm glad you are feeling seen and heard Sjord :)

hope1824 wrote: Also I recommend reading up on lots of DBT books, this will help you to gain further knowledge whilst practising participating and distraction.

Any particular books you found useful? I'm definately going to try this out, thank you!
alostlemon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:07 pm

Postby hope1824 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:05 pm

I brought the DBT handbook, the ones they use to teach you DBT. It can be a little overwhelming but its helpful. A book called stronger then BPD, and sometimes I act crazy. I found actually reading about BPD itself helped with DBT. These books reference DBT. On play store I just download a sample to see whether I would be interested in the book before I buy it.

:)
hope1824
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:07 am

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum