Our partner

Considering dropping out of DBT

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Considering dropping out of DBT

Postby Sjord » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm in a bad place right now, and have been for the last few weeks. I've been in DBT therapy for almost three months now. My heart's not in it, I don't want to go and my motivation is zero. Yet I'm scared of what'll happen if I quit, I'll be left with nothing again.
But I can't get a grasp of what I'm supposed to do with the homework, I don't get or don't agree with the basic DBT mindset, at least not now when my mood is so low.
The areas where I would need the most help I can't even tell them about because that would put me in a position in which they would have the power to block me.
I feel like a total fraud, I go there and tell them this and that and then I go home and continue in my self destructive path.
I was supposed to go to a concert last week, I'd been looking forward to it since the tickets were released. And on the day the concert was, I was completely crushed by my anxiety, which have hightened a lot lately, and I was unable to go. That failiure took the last pieces of hope away from me.
Even if I do end up following through with DBT, what life am I supposed to have? I can't stop thinking there is no future.
Anyway, I don't know. There's so much more to it, but that would make a bad rambling novel. I've rambled on enough as it is.
Sjord
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Considering dropping out of DBT

Postby alostlemon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:59 am

I totally feel you man. I'm about as far in. I don't know if you're like me, but the amount of cycles of failing and starting over with the new, healthy, happy me is just getting really old. I totally get, also, about how the DBT ideas are attractive when you're feeling good, and almost unusable when you fall.

BUT , it's considered a long-term, committed treatment for a reason. Some parts of ourselves that are really not helpful, feel like something that can never go away, but are really down to years of habit. I do think if you have a care worker or someone that you also have one-on-ones with to help apply smaller goals to your life and go through homework with you, the process could become better. Especially when you feel you have 'darker parts of you', or 'failiures' that you feel you can't discuss in group.

Also, it can't hurt to have a place to go, to talk about the things that probably hound your head anyway. To focus your attention to what things you can control.

I hope you can stick through it, I'm going to try stick with it too. :)
alostlemon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum