Our partner

How would you interpret this image?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

How would you interpret this image?

Postby mirracle4 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am

The following image is from healthyplace.com and is representative of BPD. I'm looking for some input on how to interpret its meaning. Can anyone tell me what they think?

mirracle4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How would you interpret this image?

Postby sakura1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:39 am

i often read similar things and i don't really understand them because i want to be saved lol.
also isn't saved the same with being appreciated with exactly ho you are.what is the difference?
but i think they imply that in the secone one you have self confidence and strength and you save yourself instead of waiting someone else to save you.you just want someone to love you ,not save you.
i assume the fist implies more codependency than the second.and helplessness.and the second phraze more self esteem and inner strength.
although i think i understand it intellectually,i don't understand it emotionally,i feel i just want someone to save me lol.
Maybe they also imply that in the first you change but in the second they love you for who you are.
i completely agree with this . but i always thought in order to save you they do have to love you for who you are.Isn't saving same with love. what is the difference.
but i know intelectually you have to love yourself and not being codependent but i don't understand it emotionally and romantically.
dammit all those fairytales.the princesses should have saved themselves not wait for someone lol.
sakura1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Postby jaus tail » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:00 pm

for me it's more like i dont want people to give random advice on depression or on life. most of the advice is
'get over the issues' or 'move on'
i understand now that that's all many of them are capable of. at times i just wanted someone to quietly sit with me. no suggestion. no advice. just saying, 'its ok. let's walk through this together. i'll come to the therapist with you if you want.'
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Postby mirracle4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:12 am

sakura1 wrote:i often read similar things and i don't really understand them because i want to be saved lol.
also isn't saved the same with being appreciated with exactly ho you are.what is the difference?
but i think they imply that in the secone one you have self confidence and strength and you save yourself instead of waiting someone else to save you.you just want someone to love you ,not save you.
i assume the fist implies more codependency than the second.and helplessness.and the second phraze more self esteem and inner strength.
although i think i understand it intellectually,i don't understand it emotionally,i feel i just want someone to save me lol.
Maybe they also imply that in the first you change but in the second they love you for who you are.
i completely agree with this . but i always thought in order to save you they do have to love you for who you are.Isn't saving same with love. what is the difference.
but i know intelectually you have to love yourself and not being codependent but i don't understand it emotionally and romantically.
dammit all those fairytales.the princesses should have saved themselves not wait for someone lol.

When you say that you want to be saved, you mean saved from symptoms of BPD, right?
Also, do you think that the quote in this image is speaking to the person with BPD themselves or to someone else who is trying to save them?

Maybe "being appreciated for exactly who you are" is like what jaus tail said--just quitely sitting with you and not forcing advice on you but rather simply saying 'its ok. let's walk through this together. i'll come to the therapist with you if you want.'

You said that you understand it intellectually but not emotionally and that you feel like you want someone to save you, but how would someone go about saving you? Is the only way to be saved through therapy (or being supported through therapy)? I'm just curious about your opinion.

As far as saving being the same as love--I don't think so. I think that loving someone is more like appreciating them for exactly who they are and supporting them while they save themselves (again, sort of like what jaus tail said).

Also, why do you think this image says "she needed to be found"? What is that referring to specifically? And why does this image show a little girl?
mirracle4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am

Postby bobok » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:10 am

I do have an inner child that wants to 'be saved'. It feels fragile and powerless in the face of the world and tends to curl up in corners of my personality. The other part of me is stronger and aware I'm the only one capable of 'saving' that kid. The inner child tends to give power away, the 'adult one' keeps taking it back. Me is somewhere in between these two.
bobok
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Postby jaus tail » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:12 am

the inner child comes very often with me. if someone raises his voice before me i start crying. then there are panic attacks where i freak out.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sakura1 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 am

mirracle4 wrote:When you say that you want to be saved, you mean saved from symptoms of BPD, right?
Also, do you think that the quote in this image is speaking to the person with BPD themselves or to someone else who is trying to save them?

Maybe "being appreciated for exactly who you are" is like what jaus tail said--just quitely sitting with you and not forcing advice on you but rather simply saying 'its ok. let's walk through this together. i'll come to the therapist with you if you want.'

You said that you understand it intellectually but not emotionally and that you feel like you want someone to save you, but how would someone go about saving you? Is the only way to be saved through therapy (or being supported through therapy)? I'm just curious about your opinion.

sorry for my english :( .
yes through therapy.but also saving to me feels like i want someone to take care of me,guide me,make me stop feeling bad,love me.tell me how to stop feeling sad and afraid.to make me stop feeling sad and afraid.
what i disagree with jaus or i didn't understand from what he said.
i think saying to someone "snap out of it" and "get over it" or "move on" is the opposite of saving or loving or accept of who you are.It is someone i would be angry with and avoid him.i don't understand how snap out of it = saving.feels like the opposite of saving.

the image could talk to both someone with bpd and someone who tries to save them. but to be honest the way it is written seems almost like it talks to a narcissist to me.who wants to control someone and make him an extension of him .like it talks to the person who tries to save them and telling them to not control the other and love him for who he is and not want to make him their extension.maybe i exaggerate with this interpretation though.
i think probably is about codependency to be honest.like saving implies codependency and neediness.
that upsets me because i want to be saved,i don't know how to save myself xD but i definetely do not want someone to control me or to be his extension.

As far as saving being the same as love--I don't think so. I think that loving someone is more like appreciating them for exactly who they are and supporting them while they save themselves (again, sort of like what jaus tail said).

Also, why do you think this image says "she needed to be found"? What is that referring to specifically? And why does this image show a little girl?

my problem is that i don't know how to save myself.
the inner child that once was happy .because the now inner child is always scared.
Last edited by sakura1 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sakura1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Postby bobok » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:38 am

jaus tail wrote:the inner child comes very often with me. if someone raises his voice before me i start crying.

Is having this 'inner child' a symptom only of bpd? Or trauma in general? Do most people have the inner child?

I feel like I 'control it' most of time, but then comes a time of crisis/big stress and I completely fall apart and am unable to leave my room until I 'put myself together'. People tend to get surprised when they see the same me who they believed to be strong and stable and reliable, break apart like this. :| Don't even know what to tell them.

then there are panic attacks where i freak out.

I have/had these too. First happened in a bus. (I was certain it was a heart attack and went to ER couple of times) Then it started happening every time I enter a bus/tram/train/plane. Then it moved to claustrophobic packed space like a movie theatre.
I was prescribed meds for it but kept feeling zombie-like, so I dropped them. Not worth it.
Doesn't scare me as much any more. I ignore it and go on with my business and it seems to be losing its power. Think I freely gave it power in the first place.
bobok
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby jaus tail » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Is having this 'inner child' a symptom only of bpd? Or trauma in general? Do most people have the inner child?

i think for bpd the inner child is a symptom. its a feeling of helplessness n this craving for someone to save us. to give us attention.

i think i've finally come out of the stage. what helped me is realizing that the inner child is not helping anyone. not my loved ones, n certainly not me. its not about abandoning the child, but more like accepting the child.

I feel like I 'control it' most of time, but then comes a time of crisis/big stress and I completely fall apart and am unable to leave my room until I 'put myself together'. People tend to get surprised when they see the same me who they believed to be strong and stable and reliable, break apart like this. :| Don't even know what to tell them.

i mostly stay away from people. just few online friends.

I have/had these too. First happened in a bus. (I was certain it was a heart attack and went to ER couple of times) Then it started happening every time I enter a bus/tram/train/plane. Then it moved to claustrophobic packed space like a movie theatre.
I was prescribed meds for it but kept feeling zombie-like, so I dropped them. Not worth it.
Doesn't scare me as much any more. I ignore it and go on with my business and it seems to be losing its power. Think I freely gave it power in the first place.

growing plants helped me learn a lot. like how a plant is weak n delicate at first but when it grows to a tree its strong enough to withstand storms.
but when the plant is young it needs help n guidance.
motivation cannot do the work of water n fertilizer.

likewise motivation cannot do the work of therapy n being prepared well in advance of a situation.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby bobok » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:53 pm

jaus tail wrote:i think i've finally come out of the stage. what helped me is realizing that the inner child is not helping anyone. not my loved ones, n certainly not me. its not about abandoning the child, but more like accepting the child.

Do you mean through therapy?
I'm working on it still.

i mostly stay away from people. just few online friends.

A part of me feels overwhelmed by people and wants to stay away, especially in the last year or so. But the other part wants (needs?) them around and enjoys their company. Also depends on them professionally. I can't afford to cut myself completely off even though I often wish to.

growing plants helped me learn a lot. like how a plant is weak n delicate at first but when it grows to a tree its strong enough to withstand storms.
but when the plant is young it needs help n guidance.
motivation cannot do the work of water n fertilizer.

I like the analogy, very true.
bobok
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post