Our partner

Age of onset. medication, diagnosis, and other t'ings

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Age of onset. medication, diagnosis, and other t'ings

Postby pamelaperejil » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:19 pm

I take it many shinks are reluctant to diagnose BPD in people younger than 18 or so. At what age did you start experiencing symptoms of what would eventually be called BPD? How serious were these symptoms? Did these symptoms seriously interfere with or delay your emotional/intellectual development?

Were ever you medicated for these symptoms? If so, at what age did you begin medication? Did/does your medication help you? Did/does it have any serious side effects? In retrospect, do you suppose medication had a net positive effect? Or would you have been better off growing up without the chemical interference? If you were not medicated for BPD-related symptoms as a child, do you suppose you would have been better off medicated?

Were you ever officially diagnosed with BPD? If so, at what age were you diagnosed? Did/does your diagnosis help you more than treating the symptoms wold have done? More than just giving validation? If so, how? If not, why not? If you have never been diagnosed but believe you have it, why do you believe you have BPD and why haven't you been diagnosed? Were you ever misdiagnosed? If so, what effect did that have?

Did you receive any other diagnoses first? If so, what were they? If you were diagnosed with a constellation of other symptoms first, do you feel that constellation was merely a description of/euphemism for BPD? How long after displaying "BPD-like" symptoms were you properly diagnosed with BPD? Should they have caught it sooner? Were they right to wait to diagnose BPD? Did they avoid applying the "BPD" label for fear of stigmatizing you? Were they just being lazy/stupid? Or did they basically get it right, diagnose at the appropriate time?

I hear of people being diagnosed as young as 12 or 8, and then people who displayed symptoms all their lives who were not diagnosed until 30 or later. If you were medicated/diagnosed well before 18 (or the age of adulthood in your country), do you feel they jumped the gun? I gather medicating/diagnosis children is controversial. Some think it interferes with brain development, and/or personality is not fully developed until later. If you were diagnosed before 18, how do you feel about receiving medication/PD diagnosis at that age? If you were diagnosed/medicated well after the age of 18, do you resent the delay? Why do you think it took so long to get treatment?
previously: pleasnpetrichor, perejil

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Age of onset. medication, diagnosis, and other t'ings

Postby raptureblues » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:51 am

pamelaperejil wrote:At what age did you start experiencing symptoms of what would eventually be called BPD? How serious were these symptoms? Did these symptoms seriously interfere with or delay your emotional/intellectual development?

I have a very poor memory due to dissociative amnesia, but I have memories of BPD-like symptoms when I was 17 or so. Those symptoms greatly affected and very much ruined my relationship with my ex and many of my friends. It also affected my ability to finish school. I majorly relapsed and attempted suicide at 18, mainly due to BPD-related symptoms. No sure how to answer the emotional/intellectual development question, sorry.

pamelaperejil wrote:Were ever you medicated for these symptoms? If so, at what age did you begin medication? Did/does your medication help you? Did/does it have any serious side effects? In retrospect, do you suppose medication had a net positive effect? Or would you have been better off growing up without the chemical interference?

I was put on medication at age 18 for depression and anxiety initially, I tried four anti-depressants (citalopram, sertraline, mirtazapine, fluoxetine) which all gave me a varied set of moderate to severe side effects (worsened dissociation, worsened suicidal impulses, worsened insomnia, mania, hallucinations). I had to come off all of them due to the side effects. I was only on citalopram, sertraline, and fluoxetine for a month or so, but I was on mirtazapine for 2 years. The weight gain and hypersomnia from the mirtazapine led to me coming off the meds. I tried a mood stabiliser (lamotrigine) after my BPD diagnosis, which also gave me severe side effects (migraines, immune system crash). I'm currently not medicated, which is extremely difficult to manage.

pamelaperejil wrote:Were you ever officially diagnosed with BPD? If so, at what age were you diagnosed? Did/does your diagnosis help you more than treating the symptoms wold have done? More than just giving validation? If so, how? If not, why not? Were you ever misdiagnosed? If so, what effect did that have?

I was officially diagnosed at age 22 with BPD. My diagnosis helped me get specific treatment and medication (STEPPS program + mood stabiliser). Neither of those things helped me in the end but without the diagnosis it would have taken a lot longer to get these things. It also helped to make me feel like I had a way to describe my symptoms and feel less bad about myself as a person. It also helps future medical professionals to have a more accurate idea of what kind of help and level of support I need.

pamelaperejil wrote:Did you receive any other diagnoses first? If so, what were they? If you were diagnosed with a constellation of other symptoms first, do you feel that constellation was merely a description of/euphemism for BPD? How long after displaying "BPD-like" symptoms were you properly diagnosed with BPD? Should they have caught it sooner? Were they right to wait to diagnose BPD? Did they avoid applying the "BPD" label for fear of stigmatizing you? Were they just being lazy/stupid? Or did they basically get it right, diagnose at the appropriate time?

I was initially diagnosed with depression and anxiety at age 18. I was later diagnosed with OCD and MDD at age 21. My psychiatrist saw my obsessive thoughts as being OCD-based instead of BPD-based, which confused me a great deal. My care coordinator had to push him to give a BPD diagnosis - he was hesitant about the stigma I'd receive from both the medical and general community, and he also doubted the existence of BPD in itself. I can't tell if I have both OCD and BPD or just BPD.

My current therapist is pushing for a DID/OSDD diagnosis based on symptoms I only became aware of recently (the symptoms have been present for years however), and there's a chance I have cPTSD instead of BPD, but it's hard to tell as things currently stand.

Hope all of that is somehow helpful to you.
Dx: BPD / OCD / MDD / seeking formal DID/OSDD diagnosis

journey thread
raptureblues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:54 am

Re: Age of onset. medication, diagnosis, and other t'ings

Postby rainbow_sprinkles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 pm

pamelaperejil wrote:I take it many shinks are reluctant to diagnose BPD in people younger than 18 or so.

and rightly so, as before this age the brain is still developing.

pamelaperejil wrote:At what age did you start experiencing symptoms of what would eventually be called BPD? How serious were these symptoms? Did these symptoms seriously interfere with or delay your emotional/intellectual development?

hard to say. in retrospect I've had symptoms my entire life, since childhood. but I think they really started to come into play around 17, and then amped up a whole bunch at 19.

pamelaperejil wrote:Were ever you medicated for these symptoms? If so, at what age did you begin medication? Did/does your medication help you? Did/does it have any serious side effects? In retrospect, do you suppose medication had a net positive effect? Or would you have been better off growing up without the chemical interference? If you were not medicated for BPD-related symptoms as a child, do you suppose you would have been better off medicated?

yes I've tried many different meds over the years. I believe I was 26 when I started trying out meds. no, it never did much for me. various side effects. for me personally, wellbutrin and seroquel were the worst for side effects. no, I wouldn't have been better off on medication that doesn't help me.

pamelaperejil wrote:Were you ever officially diagnosed with BPD? If so, at what age were you diagnosed? Did/does your diagnosis help you more than treating the symptoms wold have done? More than just giving validation? If so, how? If not, why not? If you have never been diagnosed but believe you have it, why do you believe you have BPD and why haven't you been diagnosed? Were you ever misdiagnosed? If so, what effect did that have?

yes, at age 28. yes it helps me. where I live, the only DBT skills program available requires you to have a BPD diagnosis to get put on the list. so without the diagnosis I wouldn't have gotten appropriate treatment. the psych assessment also helped me get onto disability when I couldn't keep a job. having that income has been crucial. I honestly don't know what I would have done the last few years without it.

pamelaperejil wrote:Did you receive any other diagnoses first? If so, what were they? If you were diagnosed with a constellation of other symptoms first, do you feel that constellation was merely a description of/euphemism for BPD? How long after displaying "BPD-like" symptoms were you properly diagnosed with BPD? Should they have caught it sooner? Were they right to wait to diagnose BPD? Did they avoid applying the "BPD" label for fear of stigmatizing you? Were they just being lazy/stupid? Or did they basically get it right, diagnose at the appropriate time?

I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder at the same time as BPD. no other diagnoses ever. there was no one to catch it sooner because I didn't know I didn't have to pay to see a psychiatrist if a doctor referred me and no doctor ever offered me a mental health referral prior to when I finally got in at age 28. my psychiatrist actually didn't say the words "borderline personality disorder" to me but I knew he was screening me for it because I've known all about BPD since I was 19. and a couple years later a different professional confirmed that he did, in fact, give me the BPD diagnosis.

pamelaperejil wrote:If you were diagnosed/medicated well after the age of 18, do you resent the delay? Why do you think it took so long to get treatment?

I somewhat resent that no one offered me help sooner. I wish the education system taught you about these things so I would've known what kind of help was available so I could have asked for it. I honestly don't know why none of the many doctors I saw before the one who finally referred me thought to refer me. they were all too happy to throw various medications at me, but didn't offer any help beyond that. the system is screwed.
rainbow_sprinkles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post