Our partner

The Body Remembers

Self Help Books about Trauma message board, open discussion.

The Body Remembers

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:50 pm

I was told that I suffer from body memories (thought not as bad now) which is also a flashback but in the body instead of the mind ... I had a hard time understanding this so my old pdoc recommend this book to me...

Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment by Babette Rothschild

The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN - 10:0393703274
ISBN - 13:9780393703276

Here is a bit of what it is about...

Traumatized People hold a memory of that trauma in their brains and bodies. This is the first book to link this phenomenon of somatic memory and the impact of trauma on the body. Reducing the chasm between scientific theory and clinical practice and bridging the gap between talk and body therapy, Rothschild presents techniques for addressing the memory in the body.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The Body Remembers

Postby sev0n » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Awesome! I was just going to start a thread like this in the DID category...

Here is my Amazon review for this book.
This book is a great one for therapists and helping them learn to read the body movements of their patients. I would like to think that my therapist has read this and is proficient in reading my body movements. The author uses a story of 'Charlie and the dog' to help readers relate to the difficult material she is presenting. It explains how therapists can use other methods in addition to the ones they already use to further help their patients. I enjoyed reading about traumatic events and their effect on the nervous system and how memory operates even though I am a patient rather than a Therapist. The chapter on Expressions of Trauma Not Yet Remembered was fascinating in regards to dissociation and flashbacks. The Chapter on Development, Memory and the Brain was excellent explaining how some remember little if any of the actual traumatic events they experienced, but are plagued by physical sensations and emotional reactions. The section on the Developing Brain and Trauma also caught my attention explaining that PTSD can be found in those who experienced stressful events such as neglect, physical and sexual abuse, failure of the attachment bond and individual traumatic incidents like hospitalization, death of a parent, etc... I picked this book hoping it would help me understand how and why many of my abuse memories are coming back as epileptic seizure-like actions. I have DD-NOS/DID and the focus of the book was more on PTSD, but since my alters have this, it was interesting

http://www.amazon.com/review/R7IAO8THZZ ... &linkCode=
sev0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:37 am
Blog: View Blog (12)

Return to Trauma