Our partner

Trauma & Recovery

Self Help Books about Trauma message board, open discussion.

Trauma & Recovery

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:46 pm

I know someone else has gotten this book on the forums.. it's a great book about trauma & PTSD.

It's called Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence--From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror by Judith L. Herman

I've actually never completed the book but I almost did i think the reason why I did not was because I had so many books on the go prior... so got into one, forgot about the other then had to start over.

What are your thoughts on it if you've read it?

Here is what it says on the back...

When Trauma and Recovery was first published in 1992, it was hailed as a groundbreaking work. In the intervening years, Herman's volume has changed the way we think about and treat traumatic events and trauma victims. In a new afterword, Herman chronicles the incredible response the book has elicited and explains how the issues surrounding the topic have shifted within the clinical community and the culture at large.Trauma and Recovery brings a new level of understanding to a set of problems usually considered individually. Herman draws on her own cutting-edge research in domestic violence as well as on the vast literature of combat veterans and victims of political terror, to show the parallels between private terrors such as rape and public traumas such as terrorism. The book puts individual experience in a broader political frame, arguing that psychological trauma can be understood only in a social context. Meticulously documented and frequently using the victims' own words as well as those from classic literary works and prison diaries, Trauma and Recovery is a powerful work that will continue to profoundly impact our thinking.

If you haven't and are interested the IBSN number for this book The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN - 10:0465087302
ISBN - 13:9780465087303
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Trauma & Recovery

Postby Cate68 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Excellent book it sounds like-------My sister in NY is like 2.5 miles from 9-11 and this book would be good for her. Thanks, C68
One of the greatest blasphemies is the taking of one's freedom of thought, dictating matters of the heart and the theft of another's personal peace.

Everyday I live is an act of rebellion.

Maverick-a dissenter, an artist
Cate68
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:32 am
Blog: View Blog (266)

Postby username2013 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 pm

My psychologist recently loaned me this book. I read a good portion of it and I think it's a very good read on C-PTSD.
username2013
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:32 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby ashc » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:27 am

I'll try to read it...
"Come close for I am alone, but stay away for I fear intrusion."
ashc
Consumer 6
Consumer 6