Our partner

Childhood maltreatment and trauma is common in BDD

Body Dysmorphic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Childhood maltreatment and trauma is common in BDD

Postby El Nino » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:09 am

Hi all.

Here is some useful info, I think. There seems to be a significant link between BDD and childhood trauma. There is a recent scientific article on this, “Childhood maltreatment and trauma is common and severe in body dysmorphic disorder” . And there are similar studies.

I don't know if this forum is active anymore but people with BDD certainly need to address this topic. Not least because there has been some significant progress in the treatment of trauma over the last decades. And these treatment modalities go beyond CBT, which, as you know, has long been the treatment of choice for BDD. Actually, the new treatment models might not even be compatible with CBT.

I myself grew up in an alcoholic and abusive family. I developed social phobia at age 16. BDD came later. My BDD has gone worse lately and I’m looking for some new options. Perhaps EMDR.

Here is a video for those interested, “EMDR as a treatment for BDD”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbPeQ4rbGo

Any experiences?

- Nino -
El Nino
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views