Our partner

Has this forum has become a haven for narcissism?

Body Dysmorphic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Has this forum has become a haven for narcissism?

Postby Ubinix800 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:21 am

The whole point of bdd is a disorder of distorted appearance, and how you feel internally. Really though it's become more about vanity, lack of esteem/narcissism and peoples life stories.

- Used to go out nightly, got a bit of redness so now I don't go out anymore.

- People posting about crap they get from others about their looks, and his they want to "physically harm them in some way", yep that's narcissism. Also one or two members raging at the mirror or at others, because they caught a glimpse of themselves on a bad day.

- Compliment fishing, and saying about they posted on r/amiugly for compliments then got shot down (hate that subreddit) and had comments that harmed their worth and self image.

- Problems with wanting relationships and no one wanting to date them.

- Saying you would have left the therapists office if they called you average.

- Not wanting to be seen until they look perfect.

Etc. Etc. Seems like a lot of people here lack esteem and base their self worth too much on looks, I don't blame them the slightest though.

Not saying it's a bad thing people are venting, but jeez the whole point of this forum is, well you know what.

Anyone else noticed this? Once again not saying narcissism or vanity is a bad thing but it just seems to surprise me how many people probably have it. Guess it's kind of egocentric to think your the only vain or insecure person out there, everything I read here, everyone who comes and goes... It says otherwise, just saying a lot of us probably share the same thoughts and feelings in our own heads'. We're not alone.
BDD and vulnerable narcissism/avpd traits.
Ubinix800
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Has this forum has become a haven for narcissism?

Postby Wally58 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:55 pm

Having a lot of positive self-esteem means that you really don't need a big ego because you are already comfortable with who you are.
Whereas those who have a poor sense of self-esteem need a large ego as a defense and validation for who they are.
Self-esteem and ego can be polar opposites. This was something I learned in therapy.
Before this, I always considered self-esteem and ego to be pretty much the same thing. :idea:
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post