Our partner

My friend has bdd and he broke up with his gf

Body Dysmorphic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

My friend has bdd and he broke up with his gf

Postby Pomme » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:59 pm

Okay, so he broke up with his gf, who he had been dating for a long time.

I met him online just after the break up online.
Anyway, he doesn’t want to go on. He doesn’t want to get over her. He doesn’t want to live anymore.
And while I can understand that because the relation they had was really so great, I don’t want him to give up on life. He is so talented, has such a good voice, writes like a poet and looks of a model.
I would give anything to help him see that yes, bad things have happened but life is still worth living.
If anyone has any advice for me.

I really really care about him and if he would commit suicide, I don’t think I will be the same again.
Pomme
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: My friend has bdd and he broke up with his gf

Postby lilyfairy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:24 am

It sounds like he's trying to deal with a lot right now. If he's feeling suicidal, he needs the help of a professional. Even with a long list of talents, when you're feeling suicidal it's hard to see the positives in those things, and often not being able to see them as worthy.

Ways you might be able to help him include offering to listen if he wants to talk. He's likely struggling with some pretty difficult stuff- it might be difficult for you to listen to/read, but it's probably been harder for him to get it out. Try not to make judgements and make sure you take good care of yourself. Keep encouraging him.

I take it you don't live close by? I was going to say that if you did, you could offer to accompany him to visit a Dr or therapist- whether to go in with him if he wanted or just to wait outside. Sometimes the hardest part is starting- sometimes just getting through the door can feel impossible.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post