Our partner

How do you cope with BDD at Work, School and University?

Body Dysmorphic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How do you cope with BDD at Work, School and University?

Postby HarryOnTap » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Hello all, this post is for any PsychForum users that are either currently in University (College), school or are trying to hold down a job with Body Dysmorphic Disorder. I find that my mood is set upon looking in the mirror, and it fluctuates daily - good looking one day, ugly the next. It can also fluctuate within the day it's so weird! One minute I think I am disgusting, the next time I look in the mirror I look good. It's torture. Attendance has never been great as a result and the university environment for me highlights that I tend to over analyse situations a lot... ''They didn't react well to me because they didn't think I was good looking enough''. It sounds so ridiculous to a non-sufferer but this is literally the story of my life. Before any appointment (School, work, doctors, lecture etc) I have to get up at the MINIMUM 3 hours before, this is to get rid of the 'drawn' look that my eyes give off, as well as giving me the chance to get my hair right (fingers crossed), mentally prepare myself for the appointment and persuade myself that I look good enough to leave my house. If I don't get 9 hours of sleep, I am convinced that I am uglier- resulting in me skipping the appointment all together. As you can tell this is having a huge impact on my life. If there is anyone experiencing the same as me, or have done in the past or can relate in any way, I would love to hear your comments, success stories and coping strategies. It is extremely difficult to see a psychologist today, secondary care seems to be reserved for people with Schizophrenia, Bipolar II and extreme Personality Disorders. I either have to 'treat' myself, or pay for private mental health care, I feel that talking about my disorder on forums such as these is probably a positive start.

Thanks
HarryOnTap
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post