Our partner

12 Step Program For BDD?

Body Dysmorphic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

12 Step Program For BDD?

Postby dga28 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:23 am

I was wondering if any members have gone through a 12 Step program to treat their BDD? I have been attending an Overeater's Anonymous meeting but don't overeat. I really like the people at the meeting. Everyone has issues with their body in some fashion. I am considering doing the steps and just replacing Overeating with BDD, Depression, and Anxiety. I would love to hear back from anyone that has done this.
Thanks.
dga28
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 12 Step Program For BDD?

Postby Wally58 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:51 pm

I have been a member of 12 step programs like AA, NA and EA. Anything to help me recover and learn to "accept" myself, has turned my life around.
There is power in numbers and anything I say or is said in the group can be just what I need to say or hear at that time to make a big difference.
I learned to prioritize the things in my inventory that were most important to me and gather self-confidence. I learned the difference between ego, self-worth, dignity and self-esteem.
Sometimes how we feel about ourselves is the only thing we have any control over. I might be 'powerless' over my shape, color, looks, posture and other physical things.
I can learn to love 'me' despite my flaws and my past. It is about one day at a time.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:16 am

Postby dga28 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Thanks for your response. I went to an EA meeting but there were only three people there. The OA meeting has many members who are very warm and accepting. I exchanged numbers with someone after the first meeting. Im not an overeater so I would need to replace Overeating with BDD when reading the big book I guess. Since I'm not an addict going to AA meetings wouldn't be appropriate. At least people at OA meetings have issues with how they view their bodies.
dga28
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby El Nino » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:11 am

One option is Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA). Lots of traumatized people there. It's not a bad choice since there is a proven link between BDD and trauma. I was a member for many years. Not anymore though, I have my issues with twelve step system.
El Nino
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Postby dga28 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:34 am

I will check into Adult Children of Alcoholics. What issues do you have with the 12 Step system?
thanks.
dga28
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby El Nino » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Apologies, I thought the forum was dead... The program is too vague to be useful. Also, it places too much emphasis on moral improvement. ACA got the program from the alcoholics and they did not have the courage to change it to fit to the needs of a traumatized child.

They do some good, but it's not due to the program, but because of psychosocial support.
El Nino
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby dga28 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:12 am

You make some interesting points about the emphasis on moral improvement and not addressing the needs of a child who has experienced trauma. When I have read the steps it seems like it would be more useful to put emphasis on one's strengths and not one's faults. I am very hard on myself and don't see how focussing on my 'defects of character' would be beneficial.

Really the main reason I was attracted to EA was due to the psychosocial support as you mentioned. Maybe I can find that in group therapy? Unfortunately groups are over Zoom at the moment.

El Nino wrote:Apologies, I thought the forum was dead... The program is too vague to be useful. Also, it places too much emphasis on moral improvement. ACA got the program from the alcoholics and they did not have the courage to change it to fit to the needs of a traumatized child.

They do some good, but it's not due to the program, but because of psychosocial support.

-- Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:16 pm --

You make some interesting points about the emphasis on moral improvement and not addressing the needs of a child who has experienced trauma. When I have read the steps it seems like it would be more useful to put emphasis on one's strengths and not one's faults. I am very hard on myself and don't see how focussing on my 'defects of character' would be beneficial.

Really the main reason I was attracted to EA was due to the psychosocial support as you mentioned. Maybe I can find that in group therapy? Unfortunately groups are over Zoom at the moment.

El Nino wrote:Apologies, I thought the forum was dead... The program is too vague to be useful. Also, it places too much emphasis on moral improvement. ACA got the program from the alcoholics and they did not have the courage to change it to fit to the needs of a traumatized child.

-- Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 pm --

-- Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:19 pm --

dga28
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby El Nino » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:08 pm

dga28 wrote:When I have read the steps it seems like it would be more useful to put emphasis on one's strengths and not one's faults. I am very hard on myself and don't see how focussing on my 'defects of character' would be beneficial.

I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against moral improvement per se, I just think it’s completely misleading to see psychological problems caused by character defects. They rarely are a moral issue.

By contrast, trauma perspective is very useful. Everyone should know about Felitti's ACE study. Traumas are a major factor in most health/mental health problems.

12 step groups might still be among the better choices. I attended six years regularly, even though I saw the faults of the program. Some group therapists are clueless also.
El Nino
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby El Nino » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:18 pm

I should add that I have a deep respect for the fact that 12-step-groups are organized horizontally, without leaders.
El Nino
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder Forum