Our partner

Filters, photo editing and self-image

Body Dysmorphic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Filters, photo editing and self-image

Postby pinkchiffon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:55 am

Anyone else use filters or edit every time they take a selfie and post it someplace (or for themselves even?) I do this every time I take a photo now. I feel like an absolute fraud, especially when I post it, say on a dating profile and get told how 'beautiful' I am (I've painted myself in a corner in that regard and can't meet anyone because I look nothing like my photos). I feel like the filters (i'm fond of the cutesy ones that shrink your nose, enlarge your eyes, and shorten your face) show me the face I should have had. I like how it looks, and it makes me feel momentarily better about myself (delusional as that is) but at the end of the day, it's a wildly enhanced image and I end up feeling worse because I look so much uglier in real life. Can anyone else relate?
pinkchiffon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:56 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Filters, photo editing and self-image

Postby KerouacsGirl » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Yep. I’m too ashamed of the “real” me. That’s why I can’t do online dating or dating in general at all because 1 I don’t look like my pictures (as an old college friend who I hadn’t seen in years and met up with me for a drink/date thing and was extremely disappointed and annoyed) and 2 becasue I’m just too damn ugly. But even like when I go travelling and if I decide to be brave and take a selfie for my own personal memories, I still use that one filter on snap chat that smooths the skin and slims the face. I feel like such a loser that I’ve decided to just not take photos any more. I don’t want to be deluded and a liar.
KerouacsGirl
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:56 am

Re: Filters, photo editing and self-image

Postby darklollix » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 am

omg same. I'm not sure I look like dog $#%^, but because I could, I always always facetune my face to death or use snap filter whenever I need to send my face somewhere, if I can avoid it.
It pisses me off because i'd love to find mates online, vid chat, meet up, show my face on snap and just be real… but no

Met up some people to ###$ through using kinda enhanced pics back when I thought I looked good irl, but plain in pics. They probs were disappointed but idk.

Usually my pics don't look ugly (to me at least) so I don't do $#%^ to them but if they do and they would have been cool if I looked pretty, then yea.
darklollix
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:56 am

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post