Our partner

Gaining weight on abilify

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Gaining weight on abilify

Postby Shayna7 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:41 am

I’ve gained 15lbs since starting abilify in April. I feel so disgusting & my husband is also getting worried about my weight gain. I don’t feel attractive anymore & have really low self esteem. It’s either be on the meds that keep me level headed & get fat, or change my medication again & do it all on repeat.
I’m hoping I can possibly be put up on phentermine again in order to lose weight but not sure if my doc will be okay with that. My next psych appointment is in august but I’m not sure I can wait that long! The weight is packing on so fast! How can I combat this? My hunger never goes away! Binge binge binge is all I do anymore.
Shayna7
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Gaining weight on abilify

Postby Snaga » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Gentle hugs if wanted.

I've recently begun trying to diet- and yes it's not going to be easy. I got used to eating a lot more than I should have been. No, I'm not on abilify and only recently on an SSRI- my overeating predated that. All I can say is that it would be my opinion that your emotional stability trumps extra pounds, but if it is getting unhealthy, and they can't give you an appetite suppressant, then you'll have to start trying to buckle down on the eating. I'm easing myself into watching what I eat more, and I'm trying to start walking at least a mile a day for starters and go up from there. I don't mind too much being shaped like a teddy bear on general principles, but I'm not enjoying some of the things that come along with the extra weight. I'm in my late 50s, born male, and yeah I really need to shed at least 50 lbs. I'd feel so much better. It's a matter of that becoming more important than having a happy Winnie The Pooh tummy. But it's not going to be easy. My partner has struggled with obesity for many years and I'm starting to understand just how hard it is. It's extra hard. An alcoholic stops drinking. A drug addict stops taking drugs. But.. we have to have food! Unless you're one of those weirdos that get the delusional notion you can absorb nutrients from breathing, like an air plant- we gotta eat. I ain't no plant. I gotta eat. Going to be interesting.

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post