Our partner

Psychotic although I’m on 3 antipsychotics

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Psychotic although I’m on 3 antipsychotics

Postby Symbol of Life » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:51 pm

I had written a lot and the forum ate my post :| . Anyways, to summarize, a few months ago I had a psychotic and severe depressive episode, I went to an intensive outpatient program and I had intensive therapy and visits to a psychiatrist, had a med adjustment and I felt really good. For about a month and a half. Bad things are happening around me and I’ve started to experience something weird, like things are watching me and that causes me a lot of anxiety, on top of the anxiety I have for the issues my family and friend are going through.
I’m on aripiprazole 20 mg, risperidone 3mg and quetiapine 50 mg but as a sleeping aid, although it should also work as an antipsychotic. I have tried most antipsychotics on the market, even haldol. The one I hated the most was olanzapine, because although it was effective it made me gain 12 kls in 2 months and It took me a year to lose them. Also it made me really dull and clumsy, and it gave me horrible restless leg syndrome. I’ve also tried the ones mentioned and also amisulpride, so that makes 6 antipsychotics.

I’m scared I might have treatment resistant psychosis, and that I’ll have to take clozapine or even worse ect!!

Does anyone have experience with this type of problem? And what was your solution?

Thanks for reading
Prev. dx Schizoaffective disorder, BPD, Bipolar 2 Current dx Back to bipolar with psychosis, Cluster B personality disorder
Aripiprazole 20 mg, Risperidone 3mg, Wellbutrin XL 175 mg, Clonazepam 0,25 mg prn, lamotrigine 200 mg, pregabalin 75 mg, quetiapine 50 mg as a spleep aid
Symbol of Life
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychotic although I’m on 3 antipsychotics

Postby voracious_lemon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:55 pm

I've been in your situation before. I know it's not fun. I've tried both clozapine and ECT and neither of them should be feared in a situation like this. The only side effect from ECT I noticed was temporary memory loss, and though the ECT didn't help on its own, I did notice other meds worked much better after I finished the full course. In other words, it made me less "treatment resistant". Clozapine was also more side effect friendly for me than many other antipsychotics. Yes, there is a lot of red tape with clozapine, but after you've been on it a while you get into the swing of getting your blood work done frequently, and it works so well. It really did help me a lot when I took it, but I was still in the early stages of my bipolar diagnosis and wasn't very med compliant. I would take it again in a heart beat if nothing else worked (now I take Risperdal and Seroquel and they work like a charm when before ECT they were like sugar pills with severe side effects).

I really hope whatever you and your doc come up with helps. Being on 3 antipsychotics sucks, especially when they don't work. Good luck and (((hugs)))
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:19 am
Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post