Our partner

Mood Stabilizer Experiences

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Mood Stabilizer Experiences

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:26 pm

I've taken Lithium as a preventative measure for racing thoughts for years and found it helpful - unless the dose is too high which causes me to have almost no thoughts at all.

I'm wondering what people's experiences with medications prescribed as mood stabilizers are, and what they have helped for?

If there are ones, I'm most interested in hearing about people's experiences with ones other than Lithium, Lamictal/Lamotrigine, Valproic Acid/Divalproex, or antipsychotics like Abilify, Vraylar, etc.
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:22 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mood Stabilizer Experiences

Postby Aerix » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:58 am

I have tried Lithium, Geodon, Abilify, Lamictal, Risperidone, and Seroquel. I have tried to avoid anything with sedative effects, as I'm pretty certain that I have some sort of sleep disorder and I'm hypersensitive to anything sedating. Nothing has worked for me though. Seroquel worked somewhat, but I slept 15 - 19 hours per day. Abilify and Lamictal made me more depressive. Risperidone showed minimal improvement, not enough to be considered significant. Taking Geodon was like drinking water...no side effects, no improvement of symptoms.
Aerix
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 am

Postby Crawling » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:31 pm

I have taken for anti psychotics abilify zyprexa and Haldol and risperidone. Abilify made me manic zyprexa was a wonder drug but pulled weight on but did give me 5 straight years stability, risperidone I’ve only ever taken as prn and currently on Haldol to lose weight gained from zyprexa it’s going well although side effects are hard.

Mood stabilizers I have been on depakote sodium valproate and am currently on lamictal personally lost loads of hair on depakote, sodium valproate was good was just worried about accidental pregnancy as I’m very sexually active and it causes severe birth defects. Lamictal is brill virtually no side effects.

However I have found that anti psychotics ease mania while mood stabilizers are better for depressions.
you cannot choose the hand you are dealt, but you can choose how you play the hand.

Diagnosis
schizoaffective bipolar type
Psychopathic tendencies
Haldol 10mg
Lamotrogiene 200mg
Mirtazapine 15mg
clonazepam 2mg
Diazepam 5mg
Diazepam 2mg
Zopiclone 7.5mg
Crawling
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:22 am

Postby voracious_lemon » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:14 pm

I'm on Carbamazepine ER right now and it works better than any mood stabilizer I've been on, and I've been on a lot. It makes me a little unsteady when walking, but as time goes on that's getting better. It keeps the mania/depression at bay without flattening me.
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 am
Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post