Our partner

Alcohol & Meds

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: quietgirl2538, Tyler

Alcohol & Meds

Postby SelfCareIsNotSelfish » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm on a low dose Zoloft + Lamictal for Bipolar 2/bipolar depression. I have a friend traveling a long distance to celebrate our big birthdays. She wants to spend one day visiting wineries. She's not a partier but enjoys wine very much. My pdoc firmly told me no more than 1 glass for the special occasion.

I've only drank once in the last few years. I had one glass of champagne (I'm guessing 4oz) and I felt fine.

I read online wine tastings are 1/2 a glass per tasting.

I read that when you drink alcohol, it makes the side effects of your meds worse--such as dizziness, sleepiness, nausea.

How do I do this--I figured a sip or two per tasting? Won't that insult the winery people if I ask for just a little? I'm assuming they'll overpour because you'll buy more if you're buzzed or drunk. Can I seriously just ask for a sip, or leave a bunch over?

If we go to more than 1 winery, I'm going to really have to just take small sips. And dinner I'm going to have to fake this somehow too, with not finishing my glass. I'm assuming a fun mixed drink is out of the question, too.

Any experience or advice is appreciated.
SelfCareIsNotSelfish
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Alcohol & Meds

Postby neome » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi,

Can't say for Zoloft and haven't been on wine tastings. But I'm on Lamictal too (250mg/day) for bipopolar II and it hasn't caused any side effects while drinking. In my case, moderate drinking (let's say max. 8 beers) is fine, but if go beyond that, the hangover is massive (compared to what is was before Lamictal) and my mood drops very low for 3-4 days. I guess it has something to do with alcohol lowering the effect of Lamictal for several days.
neome
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Postby lilyfairy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Regarding your wine tasting, I know it doesn't really sound nice, but there's nothing wrong with tasting and spitting- just ask for their spittoon. I'm serious. I've worked in the industry for a while and it's quite acceptable. The staff do it when tasting. It allows people to taste without becoming drunk. Some alcohol will still absorb into your system doing this, but much less than drinking the tasting sample. Also a standard pour for tasting in Australia is 20mL though the measures may be different elsewhere. You don't have to drink the whole tasting- you can take a sip and tip the rest. The idea of a tasting is for you to work out if you like the wines or not- If you don't like a wine, so be it. You don't have to finish all of what was poured.

I've also often done tastings with people who have been really honest about it, just saying "I'm on some medication and can't drink a lot". No-one ever asks why- even if they did, you don't have to justify it. Or some say "I'm the driver" if you want to use that as an excuse. And you don't have to try every wine on the list either- you can pick and choose just a few if you want to. If they get offended by that- their loss.

I'm on seroquel for depression and anxiety. Never been a big drinker- occasional casual drinker. Two glasses at most. Biggest effect I've found is not so much while alcohol is in my system (though I think I probably get giggly more quickly), but the huge depressive crash when it's leaving my body- like wanting to go curl up somewhere and cry. I think the effect is quite common, and made worse if you've already got problems with regulating mood.
"Courage isn't having the strength to go on- it is going on when you don't have the strength." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Forum Rules
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Postby BethleftRich » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Good morning. Two years ago my doctor/shrink put me on sertraline for anxiety. I never liked to drink, but at a going away party, I had 3 sangrias and a good time. However, in the morning I noticed my eyes were swollen! My eyes are never puffy, however, when I take even one drink, my eyes are swollen in the am. I have been off sertraline for over a year, and do take tramadol for arthritis, occipital, and fibro. Been in pain management for 4 years. Even with one drink, it never fails that my eyes are swollen in the morning. Before I got into pain management, I could have a drink or two, and never had puffy eyes in the am. I drink usually at Thanksgiving and Christmas. 2 glasses of wine at each holiday. But now, I just take tramadol and avoid drinking. If I take even one drink, its puffy eyes and an ice pack. from my experience, I cant mix drink with my med. Don't recommend it. Wish all a beautiful day! Beth
BethleftRich
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:27 am

Postby Justddrown » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 am

Well alcohol and meds aren’t exactly a match made in heaven but everyone has different tolerances. I wouldn’t do it often. I’m on both as well amongst others and it’s rare for me to drink although I used to have an alcohol problem. Anyways you’re probably ok as long as it’s infrequent.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Justddrown » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 am

Also being on both I’ve noticed that if I drink too much I think I’m way funnier than I really am. Nobody wants you to perform from the passenger seat into the McDonald’s intercom “uh, yeah I ordered (something not on the menu). It was supposed to be (blank....) and now my son has to eat cold (food item not served at McKdees. So just be cautious and you should be fine.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post