Our partner

Today my psychiatrist agreed to wean off all my medications

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: quietgirl2538, Tyler

Re: Today my psychiatrist agreed to wean off all my medications

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:42 pm

I'm so sorry you're going through all this. Hugs

The only reason I would say to tell your doctor about stopping the Aripiprazole, is because maybe it can be dangerous if you just cold turkey quit taking it. You can stop it and do as you want, yes, of course, but just be sure you know how it can affect you in that way before you do. I hope it's ok and let us know here when you are able to.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

(Away from mod duties, please contact another moderator)

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:24 am
Blog: View Blog (87)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Bui » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:04 pm

Thank you, quietgirl.

I'm going to the psychiatrist this week and will update this thread on how it went. I hope it doesn't go bad.
Diagnostics - Bipolar I
Medications - 300mg Lamotrigine / 150mg Topiramate
Bui
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Bui wrote:Thank you, quietgirl.

I'm going to the psychiatrist this week and will update this thread on how it went. I hope it doesn't go bad.

I'm sending you good vibes that everything will turn out ok!

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby Bui » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:33 am

I'm sending you good vibes that everything will turn out ok!

It didn't go the way I intended to, but it was reasonable.

I talked about the collateral effects and he said it can be due to the Topiramate mostly. I said removing the Topiramate is worse for me because it makes me angry and I don't know how removing the Aripiprazole can be like. It could be a great experience after all.

I talked about removing it once and for all by myself since I was pretty desperate by each time I took that pill, but he convinced me to cut it down to 5 mg this time and see how it went. Depending on how I react to the medication tapering and to the bad external circumstances that are surrounding me (the threat a of Crohn's disease diagnosis and bad family problems), he will see if he will recommend cutting it down to zero in next appointments or not.

I think I'm faring well so far. It's been 4 days with half the dose. Some of my feelings are coming back in a fast way that I didn't expect, as some of the drug leaves my bloodstream. I'm having nice insights, am resisting well to the external circumstances and am coming back to the meditation with pleasure.

Thanks for caring!
Diagnostics - Bipolar I
Bui
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby quietgirl2538 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm glad to hear from you again. Please keep posting. It is a huge form of support no matter if it's online, it's still boosts us up. :wink:

Depending on how I react to the medication tapering and to the bad external circumstances that are surrounding me (the threat a of Crohn's disease diagnosis and bad family problems), he will see if he will recommend cutting it down to zero in next appointments or not.

So that's good, a possibility to get off it completely, if necessary; and with his approval as the side effects are not good.

Have a great day :D

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby Pairou » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:36 am

I'm so glad you've been updating us! Keep us posted :)
Pairou
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Bui » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:32 am

Thank you for the support, people!

So, today I went to the psychiatrist.

It was pretty confusing, so let me explain:
In the last month, I decided to drink alcohol almost every day to remove the effects of the medications and watch my behavior. I developed a nice taste for the beverages and this wasn't good for me, but, in the end, it was good to prove that I can remain calm even with near less to zero medications in my blood. Now I stopped this test.

I was also very hypersexual. And abused some opiates.

But, overall, my reactions to removing 5mg of the Aripiprazole were great. Good feelings coming back, better and faster reasoning, less blackouts etc.

But here lies the problem, which showed up in the appointment with the psychiatrist today. My mother saw me as unstable (she is bipolar too, is being aggressive, is having with a distorted view of things - and is afraid of my violent breakouts in the past - 2013 - coming back). So, she messed up with the psychiatrist's head and the appointment was a mess.

He even said - "if you quit the Aripiprazole by yourself, you will stop being my patient. I said, "Will I stop being your patient? Really?" He regretted what he said, and said that I should experiment 0 Aripiprazole for a week and see how it goes.

But here lies a bigger problem: via cell phone messages, he said later that I must not drink distillates, mustn's abuse opiates, and must return immediately to Aripiprazole in case of any emotional alterations.

I became indignant, and wrote him a big text complaining about his treatment with me. I want respect, I want to be heard, and I don't want my mother influencing him more than myself. I want him to trust me and respect my decisions and opinions.

He agreed and replied with a humane answer. I agreed to not drink alcohol in excess anymore, not to abuse opiates, and to mix dangerous substances. So in the end it was OK.

Then lies the BIGGEST problem. After I read the conversation to my mother, she became indignated. She is still afraid of my breakouts and my instability.

I hope our relationship won't deteriorate. I'm happy because my relation with the psychiatrist is going well and the treatment/weaning too. But my mother's reaction was very bad.

Well... I think that's it.
Diagnostics - Bipolar I
Bui
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Bui » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:48 am

Well, things aren't going so bad anymore.

I'm feeling very emotionally stable after 2 and a half days without any antipsychotics anymore. And my mother has since accepted the situation as it is and we are well now.

My emotions (the good ones) are coming back to fully normal. I know I'm not 100% like "myself" since the Topiramate keeps me from acting on the urge of my impulses, but at least my feelings are pretty much back.

The cons: I'm feeling anorgasmia. I don't know why. I'm also feeling joint, head and leg pains the whole last month, and have being using opiates (including morphine) a bit too much when I feel those pains. I have a history of opiate addiction (that got started due to my allergies to all NSAIDs) and this can be dangerous.

I hope I can get rid of the anorgasmia and deal with the opiate thing.

I don't know how I'm going to deal with the Topiramate and the Lamotrigine in the near future. I want to end all psychiatric medication use, but, as of today, they are helping me stop eating too much (Topiramate) and helping me not get depressed (Lamotrigine).

For now, I'm happy I got free from the antipsychotics. One battle at a time. :)
Diagnostics - Bipolar I
Bui
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby RottenFish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:43 am

This is great news. It brings a smile to my face every time someone tapers off their meds. I stopped believing in psych drugs after my horrible experience with them. Since then, I never poisoned my body with those drugs ever again.

Bui, I congratulate you for being brave. I know the side effects of weaning off these drugs can be a nightmare. But in time, your body and mind will thank you.
RottenFish
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post