Our partner

Low Carb Diet for Bipolar

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: quietgirl2538, Tyler

Low Carb Diet for Bipolar

Postby z7z » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Interesting article on mood and extreme low carb/Atkins/Keto/Paleo type diets:
http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/bipolar-di ... arb-diets/

Great site on how to eat low carb:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

I'm going to give it a try. You do have to be careful about your medications and losing weight and water weight especially with Lithium toxicity.

Here is my food list:

Best (Eat Frequently)
Eggs, meat, cheese, cottage cheese
Greens: spinach, chard, arugula, baby kale, bok choy, collard greens,
Oil, apple cider vinegar, mayo
Veggies: broccoli, avocado, asparagus, cucumber, celery, pepper, onion, mushroom, olive

Okay (Moderation)
Nuts: almond, pistachio, walnut, brazil nut, pumpkin seed
Berries: blue, black, rasp, straw
Coconut milk, heavy cream
Wine/liquor on the rocks

Worst (Avoid)
Sugar/candy/dessert/chocolate
Flour/pasta/rice/bread
Processed food/fast food/junk food
Ice cream/chips/cookies/beer
Milk

Of course you have to also watch your calories with this diet and exercise frequently.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Low Carb Diet for Bipolar

Postby fiftylager » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:35 pm

I am on the Keto/low carb diet, trying to lose weight from mirtazipine and seroquel. It does help in weight loss but hasn’t really helped my mood except for the relief when I step on the scale. It is worth a try especially for weight loss. I recommend you ease into it and take a multi vitamin and magnesium with it. They say weight training works best with it but I can’t due to injury. Remember that fat is a filler and not a goal. Many think you can eat unlimited fat, especially bacon.. that has been disputed and I agree. Your carb craving will decrease. I’m only doing this short term because of weight gain due to meds. Mirtazipine had me eating a bag of bread with a pound of butter a day and pasta like crazy.
fiftylager
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: Low Carb Diet for Bipolar

Postby z7z » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:21 am

I think it's a good diet long term and not just for temporary weight loss. More of a lifestyle. Carbs and sugar are worse than they thought. In the 90's it was all low fat and that turned out to be bad science. Protein and fat are good building blocks for lean muscle. I agree that weightlifting is good for keto diets or really any diet. I think it is the best form of exercise. For one thing, your body continues to burn calories after you're done. I always laughed at the keto diet like how could you give up pasta and bread and beer and dessert but now I see why especially with the meds we have to take.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post