Our partner

Do you get obsessed in celebrities?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: quietgirl2538, Tyler

Do you get obsessed in celebrities?

Postby RosieClementine » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Hello.

I’m not diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder but I see a therapist once a week because of my anxiety. Still trying to understand why I feel certain things. But well, I have a question about getting obsessed with celebrities.
I mean, do you ever start an obsession with someone especially celebrity and you need to know everything about their lives…?! What they eat, wear, how they talk, what they love? You’re so obsessed that you want to be that person so bad. You start getting obsessed with music, so you decide you’re going to be a singer because you’re obsessed with a singer. You only feel good if you feel you look like your obsession. You need to wear the same clothes, the same makeup, you need to laugh the same way. You know everything about that person and you live like you are that person.
It’s kind of weird, I know. In my life I always had these obsessions. It lasts for months. You see yourself going to all the websites rehearsing things about the celebrity. You lost your time watching interviews… You feel like you need to talk about that person every single minute. But the most important is feeling like you are that person or having in your head the feeling like you are her/his sister or something.
I’m just curious to see if you ever feel this in bipolar disorder.

Sorry for this question. English is not my first language, so I hope you understand.
RosieClementine
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you get obsessed in celebrities?

Postby z7z » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm not sure this specific obsession is a common trait in bipolar, but we can certainly become obsessed with certain things in manic moods. Celebrities have a god like status in our culture and bipolar people feel like they are a celebrity sometimes. Mania can be a narcissistic confident feeling. Not to mention there are quite a few celebrities with bipolar. I've heard the mania high described as similar to cocaine which I am sure many celebrities take. The reality is that both bipolar and celebs are out of touch and they're just normal people like everyone else so there's no reason to worship them.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:52 am

Postby goaskmyalias » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:58 pm

I have never been obsessed with celebrities. I do not get obsessed with people. But i definitely get obsessed with things when manic. It could be a certain hobby (usually an artistic pursuit. Or just learning EVERYTHING about some random topic. Whatever it is, i go ALL OUT. Until the fascination wanes, the mania calms down and I move onto something else.
goaskmyalias
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:52 am

Postby RosieClementine » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:38 pm

goaskmyalias wrote:I have never been obsessed with celebrities. I do not get obsessed with people. But i definitely get obsessed with things when manic. It could be a certain hobby (usually an artistic pursuit. Or just learning EVERYTHING about some random topic. Whatever it is, i go ALL OUT. Until the fascination wanes, the mania calms down and I move onto something else.

I have both. I get obsessed with topics and I need to know everything about it. I can't focus actually because I'm always changing the subject in my brain. I'm reading a book and then I remember of something that I read and I stop to see another thing. It happened now. I was reading a book and I remember something then I came here to read and I just lost myself in my thoughts. But what I mean with celebrities or another random person, I get obsessed with them in a way that I change what I am obsessed. If I'm obsessed with being a movie, or a character about astronomy I have to read all about it and I already think I want to go to space and know everything about it. I buy lot of things about it but I can't never complete them because in the end it doesn't matter at all. I get obsessed with some people by subject and it takes weeks or months to forget about it. It's just weird. But my therapist says that I feel like that because I'm insecure and my parents were emotional neglected so I look to some people like an upgrade of myself that's why I want to be like them in everything. It's strange. Thank you for the reply by the way.
RosieClementine
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post