Our partner

I hate these people!

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: quietgirl2538, Tyler

I hate these people!

Postby quietgirl2538 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:02 am

I really, really hate it when people look down on you because you happen to have bipolar. They have no inkling of a clue as to what it's like to be you, yet they assume the worst. I'd like them to try being me for just an hour and see how well they cope. I hate these people!
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 am
Blog: View Blog (80)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I hate these people!

Postby eterea107 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:13 am

quietgirl2538 wrote:I really, really hate it when people look down on you because you happen to have bipolar. They have no inkling of a clue as to what it's like to be you, yet they assume the worst. I'd like them to try being me for just an hour and see how well they cope. I hate these people!

Hugs, if wanted. I totally agree and some of the worst are the passive-aggressive ones. They get their judgemental, ignorant opinion “across,” but in a backhanded manner.
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:13 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Son » Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 am

yes! OMG! I can't stand judgmental people. Big hugs if wanted. I hear people put down people with bipolar (my boss for example) without even knowing anything about the disorder. Has the word "bipolar" become a catch-all name for "crazy?" I think it has... Or someone thinks it just means you change your mind too much. Ugh!

Just remember we are stronger than these people. They're probably in a place where they can't deal with their own mental health issues. Who knows...
Bipolar I, BPD features. | 200mg Lamictal, 600mg Lithium, 20mg Abilify

A boy was tangled in his bike forever. A girl was missing two fingers.
Son
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Badger4 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:38 pm

I agree and completely understand. It amazes me how people say they don't judge and understand, yet the friendship changes dramatically based on knowing a bipolar diagnosis.

This is my first post. I just joined. I noticed that you listed your meds. I noticed you are taking lamictal and not lithium. Does that work well for you as a mood stabilizer? My psychiatrist had me taper off lithium and now I am taking lamictal. Everything has been good so far.
Badger4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 am

Postby voracious_lemon » Tue May 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Hugs QG
I hate them too. I have a fear of someone finding out my diagnosis and completely dismissing everything I say and do just like doctors do. People's premonition of bipolar is way off. I refuse to tell people about my experience unless they open up with theirs now.
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby z7z » Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 am

People that don't understand mental illness are just ignorant and it's best to ignore them. I really laugh it off when someone says something negative. They're usually insecure or had a bad experience which is still no reason to stereotype an entire group.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks, eterea, sorry for the late reply to all, I've been away on personal reasons. So I apologize and I want you to know I am not ignoring your responses.

Thanks Son, for the hugs. I'll take them.

Badger4, I used to be on lithium, but the side effects were too much for me. It did keep me stable. I was on both lamictal and lithium. Lamictal and vraylar, plus wellbutrin all work really well to keep me stable. I've recently added ritalin for ADD and that one did the trick to help me in a good way. It helps me so much.

Thanks Voracious_lemon, I've had a few too many times happen where these people actually sort of got spooked and don't talk to me anymore. It hurts. I also stopped telling people my own diagnosis.

z7z, after a few days of being down in mood with this, I pick myself up and yes, I can see them for who they are, ignorant and idiots too. Unlike you, I get super angry at the stigma against mental illness. A family member asked for a medication that her doctor said if she wanted it, she had to see a psychiatrist and she quickly said "NO!" in a manner that clearly meant she wasn't crazy or something along those lines. It make me feel this small... :|

Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby PerplexedMan » Sat May 26, 2018 1:23 am

Get over it. Bipolar is awesome. That's all that matters.
PerplexedMan
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:13 am

Postby quietgirl2538 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:46 pm

This just goes to support my thinking that others still hold that stigma that does damage to a person. Having bipolar is not something I chose. I am still the same good person with or without bipolar and only the pdoc and the therapist and my husband and kids see that. It's true, we have to act as if it doesn't make any difference and also know it doesn't matter, because at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Life goes on. And that's all that truly matters, our lives go on regardless of ignorant and idiotic people.

Delivered From Distraction by Edward Hallowell and John Ratey

"Even though science has thoroughly dismantled its rational underpinnings, its irrational gut-level reflelx to condemn mental differences still dominates our worldview, a stigma that darkens people's outlooks on mental conditions of all kinds. Without meaning or even being aware we are doing it, we regard the mentally ill with disgust, the kind of disgust reserved for a morally bankrupt individual."

Consider this: If you have a friend who is in the hospital from gall bladder surgery, you might send them a get well card. You might say to others that he/she has been sick but is on the mend. But you would never send a friend who recently attempted suicide and is in a mental hospital for treatment of depression a get-well card.

When we use the adjective "sick" with regard to a mental condition, we do not use it with sympathy. "He's sick" is said with contempt, as in, "He's a real sicko." As society has evolved, we have gained some distance on the moral model but it still hovers above us, doing it's damage."

Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby ThatTallNinja » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:23 pm

quietgirl2538 wrote:I really, really hate it when people look down on you because you happen to have bipolar. They have no inkling of a clue as to what it's like to be you, yet they assume the worst. I'd like them to try being me for just an hour and see how well they cope. I hate these people!

This plus people who try to minimize the severity of this condition with offhanded comments. IE "I work with bipolar people and they seem normal" minimizing pisses me off. Or letting someone know about the psychotic episodes and them coming back with I understand I am paranoid. Funny story during my last episode I wanted pancakes so i went and picked up some pre made pancake mix saw all the ingredients and decided to make my own i just started buying ingredients at random. Got home and figured out I don't know how the heck to make pancakes. My therapist said this is impulse control problem.
ThatTallNinja
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post