Our partner

Voices...

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Postby MSBLUE » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:06 am

Concidering this is the same voice, and has been reoccuring and the resperdal helped, let me ask you this? What is your dx? Bipolar?

I would definetly have a second opinion.

Don't listen to the voice.... do you talk to it? does it answer you? it is a two way conversation? do you see the visual of the voice?

You need to rent "A beautiful Mind". {please}. it's a great movie, if just for entertainment.

http://www.camh.net/about_addiction_men ... hosis.html

http://www.enotalone.com/article/3028.html

All my best
MSBLUE
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:06 am

ddee,

My diagnosis is actually cyclothymia (a low level form of bipolar) with psychosis and suicidal ideation, I came to this thread though, because I've only had one person in the cycylothymia portion of this website talk about voices and then he didn't answer back when I wrote him. I also have had occasional delusions, like for a while I believed God had talked to me and had given me the three rules to abide by to make suicide ok.

I try not to listen to the voice, but sometimes it gets very loud and insistent and does not want to go away. Yes, it usually is a two way conversation. I yell back at it and argue with it. There have been times when I was actually driving down the road with my radio off and the windows up just screaming back at this voice. And to answer the other portion of your question, no I've never had any visual hallucinations.

Actually we have the movie A Beautiful Mind on DVD, but it's been awhile since I've seen it, I really do need to watch it again. Maybe I'll do that tonight. I did have somebody point out something to me about that movie though. I asked a friend if he thought anybody could do what that guy decided to do and just learn to ignore the hallucinations without medications and my friend said, "no, that guy was a genious and it took everything he had to learn to ignore the hallucinations. Most people would need meds." I tend to agree with him. I don't know how I could ever just ignore this voice when it gets to loud. It really just screams at me sometimes. Like I said, it has even woken me up in the middle of the night.

BTW ddee, thanks for the websites. They were interesting and helpful. You're ok. :)

PM

Postby Pedrotater » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:47 pm

First off, I have never seen "A Beautiful Mind", I have a hard time watching movies about people with brain issues...too close to home, I think.

I have to sort of disagree though, with the whole bit about anybody being able to do what the character in the movie does.

I think that we are all capable of doing that. The key is realizing that the voices and hallucinations are not real. Once you have that mastered you can ignore them with some regularity.

The voices in my head (damn hillbillies!) still come back, but I have chosen to ignore them. I no longer have the hallucinations that I once had, though I think that was situational.

I know each of us is different, but the one thing I have found from reading each of our stories and posts is that we are all reasonably intelligent persons who have a better understanding of the way our brains work than the average person on the street. We have to. Take this to the next level...and you may be able to gain some control over the voices and hallucinations.

I will admit I have not completely won my battle with my voices...I have developed a serious prejudice against hillbillies as a result of the voices in my head. I cannot abide them. It is almost like I am overcompensating by trying to shut actual people out as well.

Remember the voices you hear are not real and you can ignore them. It's hard work but in the end, you can gain control over them, and I think this makes a person stronger. I know that I have gained a great deal of confidence and strength from my battle with the voices.

Take Care,
Pedro

Bring on a brand new renaissance,
Cause I think I'm ready
I've been shaking all night long
But my Hands are Steady
Pedrotater
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 am

Postby MSBLUE » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:16 pm

A beatutiful mind is a true story, and he was not a genius, but was obsessed with numbers as I am. He was blessed.

It took alot of time for him to realize that those visuals were not real, and had to have help from his class for years by asking them, "Is that person there?" to figure out who was real and who wasn't. he has visuals. NEVER just auditories.

Pedro, those dang hillbillies have gotta go, dude. But you do realize they are not real, that is they key. Once you recognize the real vs. the not real, and if you only have auditory it is much easier. Ignore it. Don't listen to it. Don't let it tell you what to do. I know it's very very annoying , isn't it.

Now when I'm in psychosis, I have visuals and auditory, but it is shortlived. And they are more like phamtoms. I can swish my hands thru them . WE can't talk to eachother. The visuals don't talk to me, I have seperate auditory and visuals. quite frustrating. and off to my seroquel I go, until they are gone. Cyclothemia, can become bipolar. so have your doc, keep an eye on your mood scale.

www.manicdepressive.org/tools/moodchart.pdf

If you are on antidepressant you can rapid cycle. and have manic episodes, discuss this with your doc.

The three major components to a healthy bipolar level
diet
exercise
sleep

plus the right meds. trial and error. I'm on topamax, but it has it side affects like glaucoma, but I'm sure others can sure good experiences , but I believe all will agree, stay away from zyprexa. tho it works wonders on the mood level, the weight gain is absolutely horrendous(sp). 40#in 4 mo for me and eventually, prediabetic. dang, and I was doing so well.

My best to you and thanks pedro for you help. :wink:
MSBLUE
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Pedrotater » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:42 pm

Oddly enough, for all of its faults, Zyprexa is what helped me deal with the voices the best.

First off it worked. The voices went away. That was a relief.

However, when the voices went away, I gained a total of about 45 pounds in about two months. Not good. I decided then and there that I did not want to be on the drug anymore, and I started off of it.

I worked with my docs, and told them that I was willing to keep zyprexa on hand as a "situational aid" meaning if the voices were ever overbearing or becoming too much, I would take the damn drug.

In the mean time, I became determined that the voices would be nothing more than an annoyance, kind of like allergies. I know they are there, but I hardly notice them anymore. I talk to my docs about this, and they say it is a good thing that I have taken control of the voices, and that I realize they are not real, nor do they make sense.

I agree that diet, exercise and sleep are important. Personally, I have had the most trouble with the last one. Sleep is something that I do not get enough of without "help." I have to take drugs to help me get a decent night's sleep. I am on trazadone to help with my sleep.

What is interesting in my case is that I am now learning to use my sleep patterns and the voices as predictors for when I am going to have an "episode." I know that when I lack sleep and the voices are busy, I will be heading (likely) for a manic episode or at least a mixed episode.

For example...the voices are niggling these days. I am sleeping a little less than I would like. And, to boot, I have this slight sense of foreboding/paranoia about me. Me thinks I smell an episode...only time will tell.

by the by...ddee I have never heard of Topamax...well, not as a drug, there is a product here in Canada with the same name...but it is a sheep-dip product for gardens....wait that is Topomax. What is the scoop on it? What is its prime function anti-psychotic?
Pedro

Bring on a brand new renaissance,
Cause I think I'm ready
I've been shaking all night long
But my Hands are Steady
Pedrotater
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jims » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:44 pm

I do think it is possible to carry on life even though one hears voices. Now, I have some strange ideas on this, but here goes.

As an alcoholic and drug addict I have had my share of compulsive ideas about why I should do drugs. The ideas do not appear as voices, but as ideas that fill my head so that there is not room for any other thoughts. Most of my friends in AA/NA have the same symptoms. What I and my buddies need to do is just go on with life, put one foot in front of the other. I and my buddies seem to be unable to argue with the ideas. However, I have learned ways of dealing with them--meetings, helping another addict, exercise. At first the ideas were with me every minute of every day. However, as I showed my inner addict who was boss (by just not using) the ideas were with me less and less. I have not had to fight with those people in my head for a long time.

I pretty much apply this same philosophy to my other mental and physical problems. I show my demons who is the boss, by getting out of bed and living a life today. At first it is difficult, but later becomes easier. For me it is a matter of inertia. As soon as I move my muscles and carry on with life it gets easier and easier. Yes, I am often depressed, anxious, and worried but I have a life today. I have a life that I am proud of. I remember where I came from. I have achieved all of my dreams. I was scared to death before each and every one of my judo matches. But I still went out and fought the good fight. I won some and I lost some. The important thing was that I was moving on to my goal of becoming a black belt. It is empowering when we go after our dreams even though we are afraid. It builds self esteem. I do not know if I will ever be free of depression, worry, or anxiety. But, I do know that I have the power within me to face life if I want to.

Looking at my mental illness in the eye works for me. I could not do it without my great support system in 12-step rooms. I am an example that such a thing is possible.

Jim S
jims
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:10 pm

Postby MSBLUE » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:27 am

Pedrotater wrote:Oddly enough, for all of its faults, Zyprexa is what helped me deal with the voices the best.

First off it worked. The voices went away. That was a relief.

However, when the voices went away, I gained a total of about 45 pounds in about two months. Not good. I decided then and there that I did not want to be on the drug anymore, and I started off of it.

I worked with my docs, and told them that I was willing to keep zyprexa on hand as a "situational aid" meaning if the voices were ever overbearing or becoming too much, I would take the damn drug.

In the mean time, I became determined that the voices would be nothing more than an annoyance, kind of like allergies. I know they are there, but I hardly notice them anymore. I talk to my docs about this, and they say it is a good thing that I have taken control of the voices, and that I realize they are not real, nor do they make sense.

I agree that diet, exercise and sleep are important. Personally, I have had the most trouble with the last one. Sleep is something that I do not get enough of without "help." I have to take drugs to help me get a decent night's sleep. I am on trazadone to help with my sleep.

What is interesting in my case is that I am now learning to use my sleep patterns and the voices as predictors for when I am going to have an "episode." I know that when I lack sleep and the voices are busy, I will be heading (likely) for a manic episode or at least a mixed episode.

For example...the voices are niggling these days. I am sleeping a little less than I would like. And, to boot, I have this slight sense of foreboding/paranoia about me. Me thinks I smell an episode...only time will tell.

by the by...ddee I have never heard of Topamax...well, not as a drug, there is a product here in Canada with the same name...but it is a sheep-dip product for gardens....wait that is Topomax. What is the scoop on it? What is its prime function anti-psychotic?

WEll pedro, like you sleep is my worst case. I am bipolar 1 and sleep when I can, or when I shut down, like now, well it's 5:15 a.m. I should;ve been to bed hours ago, taken my topamax and been snoozen, but I'm feeding off my mania energy. I'll go to bed soon.

Topamax, helps me to lose weight, plus levels me out. I have to of course take it daily. as well as my anti anxiety meds to combat stress that triggers my mania. I rollercoaster alot even on meds. i"m pretty resistant to meds, and have to trial and error,

Here is a website on topamax. http://www.medcentercanada.com/topamax.asp

I sent this one not for the sell of the meds but because it was a Canadian site. It is an antiseizure, they work best for me, esp since I'm on benzo's.

Have a great day. off to topamax sleep land. they do help me sleep too. And I';ve dropped all my weight, they are sometime rx'd just for that.

see www.google.com .....topamax :wink:
MSBLUE
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby PajamaLady » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:07 pm

How are you feeling today Pedro? Everyone else?

I dont ever recall voices but have always heard things that weren't there. I just never really paid no mind to it Most of the time its when my body shuts down because of lack of rest and I am in a deep sleep but feel like its only a half sleep.

I also see things that arent there, mainly from the corner of my eye. Like something has moved or something crawling into my blankets etc.. but when I check there is nothing. It bugs me when it happens because it happens a few times a day.

As for sleep lately, Ive been forcing myself into bed before midnight...major task for me. So far Ive fallen asleep easily 40% of the time.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Tab
PajamaLady
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:10 am

Voices

Postby PM » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:41 pm

I wish I was as strong as some of you guys, but there is no way I can just ignore my voice. Believe me I've tried. I realize that the voice isn't real, I know it's just a hallucination or a delusion, but knowing that doesn't make it any less persistent and nasty. My voice has woken me up out of a sound sleep just screaming at me to go out and kill myself. Then I get up and wander the house for awhile and just try to make it go away. The only thing that has ever even touched my voice is the meds. There are times when I just wish it would go away and leave me alone, but from the way it sounds it's not going to go away until I'm dead. Maybe it's easier to ignore visual hallucinations, but the voice talks over everybody else. I can look like I'm listening to my boss when in reality I just have this voice raging inside my head. And listening to the radio...forget it. I just turn the radio off and give up. I tried blasting the radio as loud as it would go, but no deal on that either. No matter what the voice is always the loudest, most persistent, nastiest thing in my world. All I can say is thank God for meds. If nothing else they either take it away for a little while and give me a break or they at least dull it down to a mild roar.

BTW ddee thanks for the mood chart, I've never thought about keeping one of those, but it's a great idea. Kudos to you.
PM
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: Voices

Postby MSBLUE » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:08 am

PM wrote:BTW ddee thanks for the mood chart, I've never thought about keeping one of those, but it's a great idea. Kudos to you.

:wink: Hey, no prob, my doc likes 'em too , and now passes them out to his bp patients to help him better see their cycles in relation to meds, stimuli, stress, hope it helps.
MSBLUE
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post