Our partner

Pursuing illusions or finding joy?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Pursuing illusions or finding joy?

Postby Ian Reynir » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:51 pm

I have good reason to believe that all bipolar people have had illusions - perceptions of things that are not real but really seem to be important and exciting.

The illusion that brought me down in my first manic episode was the 9/11 conspiracy theory. I felt a lot of stuff in response to things that I percieved to be real. I felt anxiety and fear when I considered the idea that our government could lie to us, and that the official story could be a lie. I'm not saying that there was any lying here, just that I percieved lies.

I dug into plenty of other related conspiracy topics with an insatiable thirst to get to the bottom of it all. I could not find a bottom, and I am certain that I would never be able to do it and stay sane. It was exciting but caused a lot of anxiety and fear that led to my first manic episode and hospitalization.

The illusion was that I percieved a need to know what I was being lied to about. What I failed to realize that the truth is I don't need to know everything, but that I needed to wake up so that illusions would not seem real anymore. Now, when I hear about 911 truth stuff, I am not emotionally upset in any way - took years to get to this by the way. Now, I realize that I have no reason to be distracted from my life's work, which is a source of joy.

Please feel free to post any "illusions" that you may have had, or currently have, that can bring you down and make you feel anxious or fearful.
Diagnosis: Bipolar I
Meds: none
Ian Reynir
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Pursuing illusions or finding joy?

Postby leanandserene » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 pm

I don't know if this counts as an illusion, but here it goes.

I had this complex that I needed to be perfect, and prove my perfection to the world. When I was really challenged in university physics and math, it (along with other things) kind of set me over the edge. I'm sure I could have succeeded, but I was paralyzed with the thought of failure. I was obsessed with proving my intellect - aspirations of being a nuclear physicist, or a surgeon. But it wasn't what I really wanted to do.

Being hospitalized and going through such an embarrassing public unraveling brought me down big time. It was my Achilles Heel - proof that I wasn't perfect and couldn't live up to my perfectionist fantasy. But then I realized that it wasn't about what I looked like to other people, that I needed to listen to what I wanted to do. It was a bid letdown to see that my brain, that had aced multivariable calculus and chemistry, turned crazy on itself. If I am a smart person, couldn't I see through the delusions and psychosis?

I struggle with completing homework and writing papers on subjects that are definitely below my intellectual level - should be so easy. Since it wasn't up to what I was challenged at, I felt I couldn't dignify it with my efforts.

It's depressing to think sometimes that maybe I would be smarter without this bipolar stuff..maybe the medicine is holding me back from something great. Am I sacrificing my creativity to stay sane? So humbling to think that I take medicine that changes how I think. Man, I could have been something.
bi bipolar bicyclist
lithium 1200mg lamotrigine 400mg
canada
leanandserene
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:27 pm

Postby Ian Reynir » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:36 pm

leanandserene wrote:Man, I could have been something.

It ain't over yet - and I am certain that you STILL have plenty of opportunity to do incredible things. I don't think it's ever too late to hit the "reset button" (as Copy_Cat put it) and move forward. I've personally failed many times at serious ventures. Of course, I succeeded at a few, which puts me in a very good position right now, but I failed a LOT too, and I still fail sometimes. And it still sucks when I fail.

leanandserene wrote:I don't know if this counts as an illusion, but here it goes.

Yes, I think your story is a great example because you describe your illusion as a fantacy image of something that is 1) different from your intellectual aspirations or life's work, and 2) caused you to have negative emotions. I found your story to be very interesting - thanks for sharing!
Ian Reynir
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MrNobody45 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 pm

I have never had illusions not once.

I have had paranoid delusions and hallucinations.

Call them by the proper name at least.
" It's all true
God is an astronaut
Oz is over the rainbow
and Midian is where the monsters live."
Peloquin, Nightbreed.

DX: Schizoaffective Disorder, Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorders.
RX:Valproate 1000mg, Quetiapine 800mg, Temazepam 10mg, Pregabalin 300mg
MrNobody45
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (12)

Postby Ian Reynir » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 pm

MrNobody45 wrote:Call them by the proper name at least.

Actually, I am calling these things by the right name. I am not talking about hallucinations or paranoia. I'm talking about illusions - I didn't make this stuff up by the way. I'm glad you feel that you don't have issues with illusions. Perhaps you are finding joy instead?
Ian Reynir
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Infinite_Jester » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:26 am

I totally thought psychiatrists were venting in psychosis inducing gases into the psychiatric ward that I was in and that's why I was confused and psychotic. I don't know if that counts as an illusion (perceptual error) or a delusion (fixed belief that's false), but was nonetheless pretty crazy.

Here's a cat

Infinite_Jester
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:27 am

Postby CrackedGirl » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 am

From a perceptual error pov I believe coincidences are signs from God. I also have fairly recurrent beliefs that my team hate me and also think I have Munchausens tho I have been told these are persecutory delusions.

Signs from God are usually fine and can be amazing. Thinking ppl hate me not so fun

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby Infinite_Jester » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:13 am

"CRACKED GIRL, YOU ARE LOVED." :mrgreen:
Infinite_Jester
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:27 am

Postby CrackedGirl » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:30 am

<3 :mrgreen:

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby Ian Reynir » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:32 am

CrackedGirl wrote:Signs from God are usually fine and can be amazing.

I haven't thought about illusions that result in joy. Interesting...
Ian Reynir
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views