Our partner

Food Abstinence

Binge Eating Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: weepingwillow

Food Abstinence

Postby MooseRack » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 am

Greysheeters, Overeaters Anonymous - Food Abstinence

Choosing to be Food Abstinent. I commit my food and behavior to a sponsor. It is the most important choice I make every day. I value my abstinence more than counting the days and months. Food addiction is not about weight loss. Food addiction is not about clean or dirty eating. Food addiction recovery is about changing your biology. Distractions won't cure a food addiction. You have to replace destructive old habits with positive new habits.
Last edited by NewSunRising on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit for title and colored font
MooseRack
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Food Abstinence

Postby MooseRack » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm

I've tried every dieting program and read so many self-help dieting books. I threw all of those away because the results were always temporary.

Food Abstinence works for me. A real definition of food abstinence can vary for each person.
You don't bring the food offenders home. It is as simple as that.
It's more complicated when you have to navigate your way through the workplace or restaurants. Sugar is at the top of the list.

Willpower runs out and gutting it out, white-knuckling it stops working.
I'm here, creating this thread for anyone who wants to join me for Food Abstinence. If you live in a remote location or on a mountaintop, it's impossible to drive 1000 miles to a meeting. Online encouragement works. Even if you're spurring yourself on. I want to commit to doing that.

Dieting doesn't work. The number one rule is Stop Dieting. Find a plan you can live by and live it. Let it bring you peace and comfort. Find the joy in knowing that you are doing the one thing you haven't been able to do for an entire lifetime - remain Food Abstinent in a sea filled with comfort foods that don't bring you any comfort.

Taking one bite and throwing the rest in the trash is disorder. It won't fix a binge eating disorder. I'm here and I hope you'll join me.
Last edited by NewSunRising on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit for title / color font
MooseRack
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby MooseRack » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I tell you true. The longest success that I've ever maintained was through GS and OA.

Don't fail to make use of your sponsor if you have one. Food Abstinence is about full surrender and letting goooo of the control that food has over you.
For every day and month and year that goes by - it becomes more difficult to make a comeback and find physical recovery. Mental, too.

Food Addiction is a total mind warp. The Tool of Abstinence is the greatest gift for a full blown food addict like me. It brings peace and true comfort into every area of your life. Food Addiction does not. It ruins everything.

There's always another fad diet that promises you the moon. But you must buy their book and products, join their club, pay for food delivery or line their pockets with some serious cash. Follow the money. If it leads to their wealth, it's not about your health.

The best things in life are free and that includes Food Addiction Recovery.
Last edited by NewSunRising on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit for title / colored font
MooseRack
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby salted lipstick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:03 pm

I think that abstinence of food is not really a helpful endeavour when recovering from an eating disorder. It puts food as the focus for the problem when really the focus of the problem should be on the disordered thoughts that lead to the eating disorder. If abstinence of food was all it took for people to recover from an eating disorder, then everyone would be doing it. But the core of the problems that lead to an eating disorder in the first place are much, much deeper than just food and as a result, can't be fixed by a focus solely on avoiding/eating food differently than before. The underlying issues need to be addressed, not just the food intake.
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:36 pm

Postby MooseRack » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:57 pm

salted lipstick wrote:I think that abstinence of food is not really a helpful endeavour when recovering from an eating disorder. It puts food as the focus for the problem when really the focus of the problem should be on the disordered thoughts that lead to the eating disorder. If abstinence of food was all it took for people to recover from an eating disorder, then everyone would be doing it. But the core of the problems that lead to an eating disorder in the first place are much, much deeper than just food and as a result, can't be fixed by a focus solely on avoiding/eating food differently than before. The underlying issues need to be addressed, not just the food intake.

I think you've made some good points and you've helped me make a decision. This really isn't the right place for me or community support.
MooseRack
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby salted lipstick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:01 am

I'm sorry you are feeling this isn't the right place for you. Can you explain why you are feeling like that? I hope I didn't say anything that offended you.
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:36 pm

Postby MooseRack » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Would someone please delete my account. Thank you.
MooseRack
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Binge Eating Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post