Our partner

Breakfast/Lunch Routine

Binge Eating Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: weepingwillow

Breakfast/Lunch Routine

Postby z7z » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm

My weight has fluctuated a lot over the years and I've found that getting into a routine with meals is the best for my weight.

Breakfast: Oatmeal or eggs or granola/fruit
Lunch: Salad
Dinner: varies widely

I find that if I eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, I eat a fairly healthy dinner. I keep a routine for breakfast and lunch and use dinner as kind of a cheat meal occasionally (still moderate portions).
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Breakfast/Lunch Routine

Postby salted lipstick » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:47 am

I like your idea of getting into a routine. I think part of the problem with having an eating disorder is that it effects your thinking a lot and therefore it would make sense to get into a routine because then that's a meal decision you've already made. Effectively, if you've already made the decision about that meal then your mind can't take over as easily and go into binging mode...

I've been trying to eat a regular breakfast lately too.

How long have you been going so far with your healthy breakfast and lunch routine?
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:05 pm

Postby Holodeck » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:19 pm

I think routines are good.

I have tea and either oatmeal or cereal for breakfast.

Lunch can very, but my boyfriend and I learned we had to take rather extreme measures.

Basically other than breakfast and the food he takes to work for lunch, we now shop for our meals together daily. It is more expensive, but both of us have binging issues.

We also hold one another's card so each of us can spend money if we have to, but the other will know if there's a charge for food. Neither of us is allowed to carry cash. It's worked well so far.
Holodeck
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Postby z7z » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 pm

salted lipstick wrote:How long have you been going so far with your healthy breakfast and lunch routine?

I've been doing this for a couple years now. I also tried just drinking coffee until dinner but that was pretty miserable (intermittent fasting trend). I realize now that calories in/out is more important so I eat a small breakfast and lunch and a bigger dinner. I've also tried to cut back on snacking as that is a big problem.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby salted lipstick » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Holodeck wrote:we now shop for our meals together daily. It is more expensive
I shop almost daily also. Even though it seems really expensive, lately I've been wondering if it might actually be cheaper because of less wastage of fresh produce...

z7z wrote:I also tried just drinking coffee until dinner but that was pretty miserable (intermittent fasting trend). I realize now that calories in/out is more important so I eat a small breakfast and lunch and a bigger dinner. I've also tried to cut back on snacking as that is a big problem.
Fasting isn't great for your blood sugar levels, it drops more when you are not eating properly (like when just drinking coffee) which then makes it harder to not binge when you start eating again. Calories in/out is definitely most important to not gain excess weight but keep in mind that if you don't eat regularly enough, your metabolism slows down which makes it harder for you to burn the calories you do take in. There is nothing wrong with snacking if it is healthy, but I'm getting a sense you were maybe struggling with unhealthy snacks/amount of snacks? Healthy snacks in addition to reasonable portioned meals help keep your blood sugar level even, help you to not struggle with hunger that can prompt a binge and helps keep your metabolism going nice and evenly. It is good you are now in the routine of eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and have worked out what portions are working for you so far.

Holodeck wrote:We also hold one another's card so each of us can spend money if we have to, but the other will know if there's a charge for food. Neither of us is allowed to carry cash.
That's a really interesting idea also.

I used to try to avoid impromptu spending on a binge. It never worked out so well for me. Now though, I generally I get around binging badly by planning for it so it's not so bad. Buy the food in advance, have an idea of what the minimum quantity is that will satisfy me mentally and just stop at that. Not ideal, but it prevents it getting totally out of control like it used to. It has kind of helped me to see that I can still consume the food but it's more on my terms. Kind of like accomodating the urge but not completely indulging it unlimited like I used to.
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:05 pm

Postby z7z » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Yes, chips, cookies, ice cream, cake, and beer are my downfall :lol: although I wouldn't say I binge on them I do eat them frequently.
I need to drink more water and eat fruit and nuts for snacks.
My latest go to diet food is cottage cheese.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Baseboa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 am

z7z wrote:My weight has fluctuated a lot over the years and I've found that getting into a routine with meals is the best for my weight.

Breakfast: Oatmeal or eggs or granola/fruit
Lunch: Salad
Dinner: varies widely

I find that if I eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, I eat a fairly healthy dinner. I keep a routine for breakfast and lunch and use dinner as kind of a cheat meal occasionally (still moderate portions).

I like your idea :D
Baseboa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:35 am

Return to Binge Eating Disorder Forum