Our partner

Mother's healthy food obsession triggering?

Binge Eating Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: weepingwillow

Mother's healthy food obsession triggering?

Postby lex305 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 pm

My family recently moved in with my mother temporarily (for the next 5 months). My mom is newly (past few years) obsessed with healthy eating, her vegan/vegetarian diet, and is making it a point to narrate what she is eating and how good it is for her. She brags about her new dietary lifestyle and tsks at those of us who dare not to eat just like her, since she's found the answer to healthy eating. She's battled eating issues her whole life, and was anorexic as a young adult. She has an unhealthy obsession with food. She has shelves of books about food and nutrition, often fad or unbalanced diets. I have never been overweight but have struggled with binge eating for most of my adult life. MY problem is that I find that I constantly have the urge to binge eat, and it seems to be worse now that I am living under her roof. I don't know if I'm binging because of life stress, or if her behavior and relationship with food is triggering me.
lex305
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mother's healthy food obsession triggering?

Postby doe-eyed » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:51 am

My sister and mom are similar. My sister has recovered from anorexia but has still been obsessive about eating "healthy". And my mom, to a lesser extent, also is very concerned with healthy eating. It's a HUGE trigger for me and my binge eating, so it doesn't surprise me at all that being in this environment is causing you stress. I'm sorry for what you're going through and I hope it get's better soon.
Hosts: Owl, Swan, Sparrow
Protectors: Wolf, Bear, Lion
Inkeeper: Bunny
Littles: Kitty (7), Margot (14) Pegasus (13), Noah (10)
Other: Boaz, Ezra, Fox, Broken
doe-eyed
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:02 am
Blog: View Blog (18)

Return to Binge Eating Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post