Our partner

Effectiveness of CBT

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Effectiveness of CBT

Postby Less Than Zero » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:16 pm

Does anyone have any insight into the value of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) as opposed to the more conventional (usually psychodynamic) kinds of therapy? It seems to me that AvPD (and PDs in general) would be less amenable to behavioural treatment, but it's difficult to argue with its results in other fields.
Less Than Zero
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 11:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Effectiveness of CBT

Postby lilyfairy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:04 pm

I do know of people with AvPD who have had good results with CBT (and a lot of hard work on their part). Including to the point where the severity of their symptoms no longer meet the criteria for having AvPD.

In saying that, "recovery" would not mean that you become the opposite of AvPD- like being the life and soul of the party. You would always have traits that remain, but those traits would no longer be disabling. AvPD is more treatable than most PDs
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 am

Re: Effectiveness of CBT

Postby Less Than Zero » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:27 pm

That's interesting to hear. I was under the impression that AvPD was quite resistant to treatment. I'll try to look up a CBT therapist, then, and make sure not to expect too much :wink:
Less Than Zero
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 11:42 pm

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum