Our partner

Effectiveness of CBT

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Effectiveness of CBT

Postby Less Than Zero » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:16 pm

Does anyone have any insight into the value of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) as opposed to the more conventional (usually psychodynamic) kinds of therapy? It seems to me that AvPD (and PDs in general) would be less amenable to behavioural treatment, but it's difficult to argue with its results in other fields.
Less Than Zero
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Effectiveness of CBT

Postby lilyfairy » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:04 pm

I do know of people with AvPD who have had good results with CBT (and a lot of hard work on their part). Including to the point where the severity of their symptoms no longer meet the criteria for having AvPD.

In saying that, "recovery" would not mean that you become the opposite of AvPD- like being the life and soul of the party. You would always have traits that remain, but those traits would no longer be disabling. AvPD is more treatable than most PDs
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Wed May 25, 2022 11:04 pm

Postby Less Than Zero » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:27 pm

That's interesting to hear. I was under the impression that AvPD was quite resistant to treatment. I'll try to look up a CBT therapist, then, and make sure not to expect too much :wink:
Less Than Zero
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm

Postby Dementyev » Mon May 09, 2022 6:16 pm

I've found it completely ineffective, but all anyone seems to do. And every professional thinks they'll be the exception. It's convinced me of the canard that personality disorders are unassailable and all the talk about AvPed being highly treatable is just empty self-serving hype from the mental health industry.
Dementyev
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am

Postby lilyfairy » Tue May 10, 2022 11:21 am

Dementyev wrote:I've found it completely ineffective, but all anyone seems to do. And every professional thinks they'll be the exception.
I don't think it's necessarily hype, as I know of people who have had really good results with AvPD and CBT, and a lot of hard work on their part, but I will totally agree that standard treatments are not always effective for every person and their situation.

CBT hasn't worked for me either. Part of that I think is that of the therapists I've seen who may have been capable of doing CBT, I wasn't comfortable dealing with them. The bigger part of it though for me is that I'm not just dealing with AvPD. I have a complicated diagnosis, and there's a lot of overlap between my avoidance and other issues. And issues that complicate treating the AvPD. I've accepted that I won't be able to work towards recovering from AvPD, but instead learning to live as best and as comfortably as I can within my limitations- the same with a number of my symptoms. I was kind of discouraged, but grateful that a therapist pointed that out to me rather than just pushing on with something that clearly wasn't working for me. I find meds to help my mood and anxiety are a helpful addition. There's always anxiety there, but to feel it with less intensity helps in my day to day. I try to make sure I make time to take time out and give myself recovery time/space the day following dealing with people. And trying to avoid trigger situations like large crowds where I can rather than just trying push through them because other people can/do. I'm trying to find another job that's not as overwhelming or as people-intense as the retail/hospitality one I'm currently in. Learning where my limits are and respecting them has been a big thing for me.

I've been doing more trauma therapy the past year or two and I've found this far more effective for me and my general day to day coping than a lot of what therapy has been for me than in the past. It's not AvPD specific, but it's helping in general.

It is ok to tell a therapist "this approach really isn't working for me" and ask how else they might approach it.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Wed May 25, 2022 11:04 pm

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum