Our partner

Social isolating

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: Social isolating

Postby lilyfairy » Fri May 08, 2020 9:48 am

That makes it harder on you, definitely.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby thegentlepath » Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm

The challenge is asserting myself without being a total witch. It’s helpful to remember most people need to be told something multiple times before it sinks in. That, & practicing patience for myself & others. It’s more incentive for me to practice self-care so I’m less likely to be short-tempered.

How are you doing lilyfairy?
thegentlepath
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (121)

Postby lilyfairy » Mon May 11, 2020 11:06 am

I don't assert myself often enough- often when I do, I've copped criticism for it, so I find it confusing on whether it's ok for me to do or not, and I often lean more towards not and try to push things aside.

I'm ok. Thanks. Struggling a bit. I'm dealing with some chronic fatigue type symptoms at the moment and am trying to make myself go walking each day, but I'm either not motivated or too tired. I'm usually at the gym everyday. There were all these things I was going to work on during isolation, but not much has come off really. I'm thinking my mood drop has come from the fatigue more than anything.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 am

Postby Borut » Tue May 12, 2020 12:21 pm

One thing I've noticed is that I am less avoidant about contacting people online, such as older friends. I feel like this is connected to my lack of self-worth, now in quarantine I have more an excuse to contact people, as I know people are bored and have time. I think I suffer from both social phobia and avoidant personality disorder. I would say I tip more towards AvPD, if I had to choose one of them.

*mod edit- inappropriate*
Should you even try and be productive the whole day?
Borut
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:36 am

Postby Philonoe » Sat May 30, 2020 6:51 am

i often walk... with the virus i was more vigilant - looking if there are some people around, runners etc.

Now i recover the feeling of being elsewhere. i enter in my thoughts while walking. just sometimes i notice some squirrel, a tree or birds singing.
Philonoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:36 pm

Postby KitMcDaydream » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:27 am

Hi new to this board but not to the site.

I've been loving lockdown with no pressure to be sociable at all. In fact I went as far as to tell people I didn't want to have to see that I was in the shielded group!

I have been going out but fortunately as I live rurally the place is deserted when I've been out at first light to walk the dog. I figured I'd be more at risk if I had dog walkers coming daily and don't know where they've been, who they've been in contact with, who've they'd let stroke my dog etc.

Only had family calling by to drop off food when I couldn't get any delivery slots for 6 weeks in the beginning and cut the grass for me. Had a brief chat while they stood in my driveway a safe distance from the doorway (where I was sat).

Did go to their house for a meal just before they allowed people to visit other people's gardens. we were meant to be having a BBQ but it was teaming it down on the day. Family member had been self isolating too anyway since March too anyway. I'm not actually officially in the shielded group anyway so haven't broken any rules there!

Hoping for a second lockdown coming early then I can avoid people for the rest of summer, (was hoping for a year out with regard to some relationships that were getting stale and too much hard work) by the time its winter the numbers will be higher anyway as it's meant to spread more in colder weather, I guess cos more people will be indoors at closer quarters to each other and more back at school and work.

Will still be visiting family for xmas they are planning to self isolate for 2 weeks in the run up to xmas if there is another spike/lockdown happening around the time so we can all safely meet xmas day for our usual dinner. Not really bothered about anyone else! They can wait until 2021 when there's a vaccine (seen it mentioned it won't come before the end of this year) then I get my years break from them..lol!

Kit
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:36 pm

Previous

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post