Our partner

Outgoing Avoidant

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Outgoing Avoidant

Postby Unicornsparkles642 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Is it possible to be an Avoidant yet still be incredibly outgoing with strangers? As if releasing all the angst and being yourself for a bit then running off as soon as it gets uncomfortable?
Unicornsparkles642
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:03 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Outgoing Avoidant

Postby ACalmMess » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Depends what you would call incredibly. I get very anxious around people I don't really know, but I will have to meet new people to progress in life. So I learned to hide my fear(mostly), and challenge myself to meet new people. Most of the time I avoid this challenge, but every now and then my very close friends who I trust almost fully, will push me into a social situation where I can't escape meeting and talking to people I don't know. And surprisingly I goes well most of the time. I would say it is very possible to have a social life with Avoidant Personality Disorder, depending on how anxious you get, and how willing you(or those around you are), to let you talk to strangers.
ACalmMess
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Outgoing Avoidant

Postby lilyfairy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 am

I wouldn't say outgoing, but I can fake confidence where I need to. It is exhausting to do, but most people apparently don't pick up on my lack of confidence- they just see me as being a very quiet person.

If I'm already feeling worn out though, and have done a few days in a row of too much dealing with people, it's a much harder act to keep up.

ACalmMess wrote:I would say it is very possible to have a social life with Avoidant Personality Disorder, depending on how anxious you get, and how willing you(or those around you are), to let you talk to strangers.
It is- I find it's about keeping things within a level I can cope with though.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post