Our partner

Friendship

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Friendship

Postby Chr0 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:56 pm

I really found difficult to make friends, to stop doing the small talk and became closer to someone. If you had that kind of problem, how did you overcome it?
Chr0
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Friendship

Postby lilyfairy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:57 pm

I'd pick and choose who I shared more information with. But would still take a long time to open up about things with them. I would still not call them close friends, but that's maybe as good as it can be. I've found it much easier to talk to people online than I do face to face.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:41 am

Re: Friendship

Postby ACalmMess » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:40 pm

I have a few very good friends, but it took me a really long time to actually trust them enough to go beyond small talk. In my case, I never ever told anyone about my personal feelings, but after I was at a breaking point I just had to talk to anyone about them, or else I might not have been here today. In that act of desperation I took the leap to actually open up, and learned that as long as you choose wisely to whom you tell more personal stuff, it will be alright. This takes time though, and getting to meet people to even start having small talk is still very difficult for me. My only advise is to just try it with people where you have a feeling it will work out, and if it doesn't, you can try again later after you've recovered from the last experience. Each time you will learn a thing or more though, so even if people reject you, it doesn't have to be all bad, even though it might feel like that at times.

Wish you the best!
ACalmMess
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post