Our partner

I've got no energy at all

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

I've got no energy at all

Postby JDW » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:51 pm

I used to be an active person, years ago. Now I'm just always tired and wanting to sleep or lay down. Even just sitting/standing upright now has started to become a challenge of itself. Any ideas if this has any connection/correlation with APD? I just want to rule it out.

Thank you very much.
JDW
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I've got no energy at all

Postby lilyfairy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi JDW

I feel the same way much of the time- to me they're common symptoms of my depression becoming worse. The worse my mood is, the more exhausted I feel- both physically and mentally. I stay up late because I'm "not tired", then oversleep and still don't want to get up in the morning. Depression often goes with AvPD. Have you thought about discussing it with a doctor or other health professional?
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:57 am

Postby JDW » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm

lilyfairy wrote:Hi JDW

I feel the same way much of the time- to me they're common symptoms of my depression becoming worse. The worse my mood is, the more exhausted I feel- both physically and mentally. I stay up late because I'm "not tired", then oversleep and still don't want to get up in the morning. Depression often goes with AvPD. Have you thought about discussing it with a doctor or other health professional?

It makes me feel less alone to hear you're going through similar symptoms, thanks for responding lilyfairy.

I'm fine or at least a lot less tired during the night, say 9ish onwards during summer months, but basically when it gets dark. As soon as the sun sets, I just feel this whole weight of the day on my shoulders, I'm afraid and nervous and just dread the coming day, also I guess I know that the majority of the country is sleeping, so I feel less pressure to do stuff. It seems you're similar in that you're less tired during the night?

I've tried telling doctors and they tell me it's depression and that's pretty much all they've got to say on the matter. Also, mention exercise which I know is good but it's hard to do at the moment. I agree totally with them that it's depression, I just hardly have any interests anymore and more depression symptoms than I care to share...

I got my bloods tested, I was crossing my fingers, hoping they would come back really low but they're perfectly healthy :(

It's quickly becoming one of the toughest symptoms to deal with, I wish there was more knowledge available on the subject but it seems the doctors are as much in the dark as we are.

Thanks again :)
JDW
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:57 pm

Postby lilyfairy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:38 am

You're welcome. Glad it helped a little. :)

JDW wrote: It seems you're similar in that you're less tired during the night?
Yes and no. I've always been a bit of a night owl. And it's not always that I'm not tired. If I take myself off to bed, I usually fall asleep fairly easily. I just fight the tiredness because I'm usually lost in something- TV show, something on the computer, and time just gets away on me. The fact I fall asleep fairly easily most nights might be more to do with my meds though- without them my sleep patterns are far more like not being able to get to sleep and then waking up through the night a lot.

Re the doctors, have you asked them if they could refer you to see a therapist? Or if the Dr you're seeing is really not helping, have you considered switching to a different Dr? I understand with the exercise thing too. Yes, it does help, but finding the motivation to start is hard. I joined the gym a few years back while I was on meds that made me gain a lot of weight- I had someone I knew meet me outside the first time I went and we walked through the door together, to make it less scary. I've been training (it got more serious) for about 4 years now, am managing my weight well (I'm fit and strong) despite the meds and it's really noticeable the difference in my mood and anxiety levels when I skip training.

JDW wrote:I got my bloods tested, I was crossing my fingers, hoping they would come back really low but they're perfectly healthy
My Dr and I have looked at this many times too, but more often than not it all comes back ok and there's no other logical/obvious explanation.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:57 am

Postby DamagedGoods4013 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:55 am

I am the same way...zero energy, just want to sleep or lay in bed. Add to that having ADHD and living in a cluttered apartment where I am expected to keep it neat "just in case" of emergency (and not getting any help, can't afford professional cleaner). It's stressful.

I usually take Melatonin to help me sleep. It works most of the time, except when I'm really stressed, then I have to double or even triple the dose. Currently I take 5 mg. per night, but may need to go to 10 mg. I get insomnia attacks occasionally around 12am to 3am. They haven't been as frequent thanx to the Melatonin.
My disorders:
ADHD (dx'ed)
AvPD (meet all the criteria and have all symptoms - looking to get dx'ed)
SAD
Possible OCD or mild bipolar
DamagedGoods4013
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post