Our partner

Delivery/Pick Up Grocery Services

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Delivery/Pick Up Grocery Services

Postby bluefeeling » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:43 pm

I've noticed a lot of stores now offer delivery of groceries, or a service where you can order your food online and they will bag it up for you and you can just pick it up. I tried this last night. Still had some paranoia about the two interactions I did have but it was a lot better than I think it would have been actually going in the store. Prices vary but I think it might be a good thing for people with AvPD to use when they feel like they can't get out. Has anyone else used this? What was your experience?
bluefeeling
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Delivery/Pick Up Grocery Services

Postby skyflyz » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:47 am

Well it would definitely help with people who can't get out. I personally have more trouble with delivery people and/or having to try new things that have the potential to embarrass me than I do with actually shopping. I also am weird in that I enjoy shopping.

Since it went smoothly for you, it probably will be pretty easy to use. But people afflicted with AVPD really need to ask themselves if they want to get better or if they just want life to be easier for them and they don't get better.
“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Postby lilyfairy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 am

My local supermarket offers it, but I don't think I'd use it. I like to be able to choose things for myself- eg. picking out fruit and veg. And my shopping trips usually end up with more items than I'd planned for- I go with a list, but I'm a specials shopper and there's a lot of items I rarely pay full price for.

skyflyz wrote:But people afflicted with AVPD really need to ask themselves if they want to get better or if they just want life to be easier for them and they don't get better.
Things like going to the supermarket are for the most part a small but achievable challenge to me- and something that helps things feel a bit more average and not so disordered. Some days it is totally overwhelming and I just need to get out of there quickly, but otherwise I try to push through it. Except in Kmart. They push everyone to go through their self serve checkouts which are too loud and too much for me to deal with. I need to go back to the car and recover/hide after dealing with those ones.
"Courage isn't having the strength to go on- it is going on when you don't have the strength." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Forum Rules
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Postby skyflyz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:50 am

lilyfairy, I can totally relate. I like picking out my own stuff and in some weird way it does feel good to get out for awhile. I work at home so it's entirely possible for me to be a total hermit. I get really depressed if I spend too many days in the house. I've been going to the gym every other day.

I suppose the challenge for me would be doing it the other way, where I order online and they put the groceries in the car. I have a pick up truck and no camper shell or anything so it's always sort of a mess putting the groceries in. I don't have delivery as an option where I'm at as it's a small town. That would be tempting because I'd probably feel less judged about what I'm buying.

What's sort of interesting is that back in the day people would take their shopping lists to the clerk and he'd get the groceries. At least that's the way it was in the USA. In 1916 the guy who owned Piggly Wiggly invented grocery stores as self service like it is now. So this delivery or pick up option in a way is like going back to the olden days with a twist. :)
“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Postby dave1234 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:39 am

its great, grocery shopping is one of my worst things

I haven't been able to "condition" myself out of it by going either, so I just didn't go and didn't have food lol

so I love the pick up service
dave1234
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:59 am

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post