Our partner

Getting packages in the post is like Christmas...

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Getting packages in the post is like Christmas...

Postby Auxiliary11 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:42 am

Just me?

After you've ordered something online...

Nothing like waking up on a morning (or should I say mid-afternoon as usual) to find a pile of packages in your porch. It's even better when you forget what you ordered because there's a sort of suspense when you open them.

Or maybe I'm just easily entertained at times.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Getting packages in the post is like Christmas...

Postby Parador » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:21 pm

I always worry that someone will steal packages left on my porch or in my mailbox. I've had change stolen out of my car, but no packages stolen - yet.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jamberrypie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:48 pm

I love to get packages in the mail! I order a lot of stuff online because I oftentimes get better prices that way. Also, there are things that I want sometimes, but I have no idea where to find them in a retail store, so it's just easier for me to buy it online. Saves me time and requires less mental energy overall.

Another great thing to get in the mail - is personal letters!
jamberrypie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Postby skyflyz » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Yeah it's nice until your package never arrives :(

I'm still waiting for a package that was supposed to be delivered Sept. 16th. According to Amazon, it's still supposed to be delivered. I have to wait a month to start the official complaint. Good thing it's not all that important.

I'm more into instant gratification myself.. plus, I enjoy actually handling the stuff I buy before buying it. :)

It IS nice getting packages though. I actually enjoy shopping, plus like I mentioned I distrust not actually seeing what I'm purchasing first. Hate the hassle of returning stuff.. and it's almost impossible IMO to order clothing online without trying it on first.

I try and support the nearby mall that is really struggling, because of how I like to see stuff first.
“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Postby jamberrypie » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:13 am

Yes, buying clothing online can be tricky. I just bought some new tennis clothes from one of my favorite websites. The items were all from different brands. Some of them fit and some of them didn't, so, yes, I will have to box up the stuff that doesn't fit and make a trip to return it. It's free return shipping, so I'm not losing any dollars there, and luckily there is a UPS store close to my workplace.
jamberrypie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby naps » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:35 am

Yes, finding a present from yourself in the mail is always more exiting than it seems it should be. Better yet, my neighbors across the hall will always bring up packages and leave them at my door, as I also do for them, which is especially nice on my days off, which I usually set up so that I don't have to leave my apartment. I just open my door a crack and there it is. It's pretty cool to press a bunch of buttons to buy something and two days later it's leaning against your front door.

I do miss the old days though, that buzz you got just walking into a store which you knew had lots and lots of stuff you wanted to buy. Pressing the 'add to cart' or 'place order' button is always a little fun, but it's not the same.

As far as not leaving my apartment on my day off, I wonder what that is. Not wanting to step outside on days off has nothing to do with AvPD; it would be easy to run down to the mailbox without running into anybody. Just the idea of leaving, even if only to get the mail, sorts of taints the day. As if being able to say "I didn't step out of the apartment for a second" really matters. Also, on these days of pleasantly self-imposed isolation, the idea of running out for a second to get a beer or soda or something from the deli across the street seems as daunting annoying as walking six blocks to get a weeks worth of groceries. Is this something other AvPD's share? Although there's no real anxiety involved, I'm wondering if it could have some mild aspects of agoraphobia.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:53 pm

Postby Hepzibah Pynchon » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Auxiliary11 wrote:
Nothing like waking up on a morning (or should I say mid-afternoon as usual) to find a pile of packages in your porch. It's even better when you forget what you ordered because there's a sort of suspense when you open them.

Or maybe I'm just easily entertained at times.

Funny! Glad I'm not the only one who forgets what I ordered. It does feel like getting presents!

Parador wrote:I always worry that someone will steal packages left on my porch or in my mailbox. I've had change stolen out of my car, but no packages stolen - yet.

That's a concern for me too - rural area, quiet country road, and some really dedicated, hard-working, highly professional thieves around here. The delivery man hid a package once so well that it took me several days to find it, thought it HAD been stolen!

jamberrypie wrote:

Another great thing to get in the mail - is personal letters!

I so agree - wish I had a pen pal or 2...

Marcus555 wrote:
As far as not leaving my apartment on my day off, I wonder what that is. Not wanting to step outside on days off has nothing to do with AvPD; it would be easy to run down to the mailbox without running into anybody. Just the idea of leaving, even if only to get the mail, sorts of taints the day. As if being able to say "I didn't step out of the apartment for a second" really matters. Also, on these days of pleasantly self-imposed isolation, the idea of running out for a second to get a beer or soda or something from the deli across the street seems as daunting annoying as walking six blocks to get a weeks worth of groceries. Is this something other AvPD's share? Although there's no real anxiety involved, I'm wondering if it could have some mild aspects of agoraphobia.

You know, I do this too and have wondered the same thing. To me it feels like I'm pampering myself if I'm all set and don't have to leave. Not so much a fear thing, altho even shopping excursions are mildly anxious most times. Exhausting, I always crash for a couple hours after. I try to leave it for later in the day or I won't get anything else done that day.
Hepzibah Pynchon
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Auxiliary11 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:07 pm

"Brown paper packages tied up with strings. These are a few of my favorite things."

fitting.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby naps » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Hepzibah Pynchon wrote:You know, I do this too and have wondered the same thing. To me it feels like I'm pampering myself if I'm all set and don't have to leave. Not so much a fear thing, altho even shopping excursions are mildly anxious most times. Exhausting, I always crash for a couple hours after. I try to leave it for later in the day or I won't get anything else done that day.

If I must go out on a day off, I do it as early as possible to get it over with. If I don't, it won't happen. Going out ruins the vibe, kills the momentum of relaxation or whatever I'm working on. So does taking or making a phone call or even sometimes answering an email, but that's definitely an AvPD thing.

Auxiliary11 wrote:"Brown paper packages tied up with strings. These are a few of my favorite things."

Brown paper packages with an Amazon logo on them.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:53 pm

Postby BrokenSword » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:10 pm

I do shop online a lot and I love opening my packages!

Only problem is I am never home when they get delivered so I have to go pick them up from a neighbour :? Or I could have them delivered to work but then I'd still have to go pick it up from the receptionist.

I sometimes try to time it so that a package will be delivered on Saturday but that doesn't always work. And sometimes the delivery person doesn't even ring my doorbell when I'm home and delivers to a neighbour right away.
BrokenSword
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:53 am

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post