Our partner

Is There a Test?

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is There a Test?

Postby Arik » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:12 pm

Both of my sisters and I think that I am on the spectrum. Mom, however, flatly denies it, stating how social I was as a baby.

There are more examples I can use. To list a few, I was toilet trained late, I spoke late (I assembled a simple radio kit before I learned to talk), I was constantly experimenting, connecting different speakers to get various tones and volumes, and I had no concept of danger.

Several years ago, my parents and I went to a dinner show where people ate with their hands. When I asked, I was assured it would just be finger food. Therefore, I didn't bring any eating utensils with me. What they served us was not finger food. We had cornish hen and other foods like that. I dug through my EDC bag, trying to find something to eat with. I only had the tweezers from my first aid kit, so I ate with tweezers.

Even with those examples and more, Mom flatly refuses to consider the possibility I may be on the spectrum.

How can I know if I'm on the spectrum or not? If I am, is there anything that can be done this late in the game? I'm fifty-two.
Arik
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is There a Test?

Postby Snaga » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:15 pm

I've seen some self tests out there- to be taken with a grain of salt, ofc. I consistently come out just this side of not on the spectrum.

Tell someone today that you love them; for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon; for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:38 am

Re: Is There a Test?

Postby WaterSelkie » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 pm

The only way is to get a professional assessment. Self-tests can ONLY give indicators and are not diagnostic in any way.

Regarding support, it depends on your particular symptoms and if you feel you need support with certain things? For example, I know there is a type of therapy that can help teach you conversational skills to help navigate your way in the neurotypical social world, like in the examples you gave. If you're unsure, I'd recommend emailing an autism professional and seeing if there are any therapies that may be beneficial for your symptoms.

Your examples suggest a developmental delay and difficulty connecting to the social world in a neurotypical way but to say for certain whether your are ASD and get support for it can only come from a full official assessment.
WaterSelkie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Return to Autism Forum