Our partner

I just realized we really are d*ckheads sometimes

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I just realized we really are d*ckheads sometimes

Postby meatpuppet » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:58 pm

New here. So I just encountered another autistic person online and they showed behavior that made me realize why certain people have reacted to me in certain ways in the past. They were taking things too literally, were WAY too intense and negative just for the sake of being negative, but kept on, oblivious to the social cues I was dropping. Is there any way to reach through to a person like this? I know when I'm in that state it's pretty difficult to get through to me, but this was really bad.

I see now why people would say "It's no excuse" for us to act like the way we do. But we really AREN'T aware of it. I've just seen it from the outside in, and related it to the times I've done it while being oblivious to it. I can even see why they'd want to sedate us with bullsh*t like risperidone. :cry: We can be serious d*cks sometimes. :oops:
meatpuppet
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I just realized we really are d*ckheads sometimes

Postby Lucky » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:25 am

When one gets like this, the first thing to understand is what you said - We don't know. So we need to be told - politely first to test the waters for the reaction. Some will react with a light bulb moment ("OH! I didn't know that!") and some may ask a question for clarification (and here's where one needs to be spot on). The ones who get nasty in reply - and that happens - it is most likely that they have not adjusted to being Autistic, and that can be for one of two reason. One they are not self aware to begin with, or two they are being deliberately like that for attention - mostly because they want a cure (and we know they won't get that).

Speaking for myself - I play it by ear. If I try a few times to be polite and so on and it gets me nowhere, my next step (and I do NOT recommend this - it's just me) would be to fire back in kind in order to let them know that this is what they are doing, and if they don't like it, say so. It's a bit like aversion therapy (which as I said I don't recommend) but sometimes in order to resolve an issue, one may need to go down that path.

I honestly think being a d*ckhead isn't exclusive to being Autistic, like a lot of things. There are plenty of neurotypical DH's out there.
Lucky
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:12 am

Re: I just realized we really are d*ckheads sometimes

Postby DoDecaDon » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:38 pm

I'm not autistic but I do have adhd and self reflection issues. I find it helpful to see the behaviour mirrored in someone else. Like seeing a video of something over reacting helps me understand sometimes.
A.D.D, Anxiety, Depression

Dissociation
DoDecaDon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:12 pm

Return to Autism Forum