Our partner

difference between autism and BPD

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

difference between autism and BPD

Postby pamelaperejil » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 am

Can anyone here explain in a nutshell how you might tell one from the other?
previously: pleasnpetrichor, perejil

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: difference between autism and BPD

Postby pamelaperejil » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:44 am

Do people on the autism spectrum experience paranoia under stress? Or, alternately, is paranoia a consequence of bad theory of mind? Meaning: do you get nervous in social situations when you can't read other people's minds and wind up guessing and thinking some crazy thing?

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby hanswenkeetch » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm not an expert on autism in any regard, but I have an older sibling who is diagnosed and I have lived with him my whole life so I think I have a pretty valid opinion on the difference.

So to start off, let's look at the differences and similarities I can see between the two disorders.
From my readings, people diagnosed with BPD seem to be really paranoid of social situations in particular. Abandonment is a big issue in this category from the symptoms I could find. All the people diagnosed with autism that I know seem to be more paranoid about situational things, if they are even paranoid at all. For example, my brother focuses on things outside of his control obsessively, and never really lets the thoughts about them go away. I don't really even see much paranoia in this at all though. The stress is more induced from what he calls "invasive thoughts" that don't leave him alone. Sufferers of BPD also experience invasive thoughts, but they seem to be less based on reality and more on there own imagination. The things my brother worries about can be real issues, while somebody with BPD will worry about things that aren't even real or reasonable.

It seems to me that sufferers of BPD also want social relations much more than people with autism. My brother avoids ANY social situations and is completely against them unless they benefit him personally, by that I mean he doesn't even enjoy or want them. People with BPD seem to want social relations, but are held back by their nagging paranoia. My brothers paranoia stems more from situations rather than people.

Another point is that people with BPD feel intense emotions more spontaneously than people with autism. My brother only has rash amounts of anger or sadness when something he doesn't like happens (Whether it's minuscule or a big deal), while people with BPD sometimes have no logical point of conflict. The anger in BPD is more easily triggered from relationships as well.

Perhaps the biggest difference between BPD and autism is when they begin. BPD usually starts showing signs at anywhere from 15-20 years of age. In contrast, autism starts at a much younger age of usually below 2 years old.

There are a few similarities between autism and BPD if you are interested though. Both sufferers of BPD and autism experience extreme compulsiveness, meaning they cannot control themselves very well. My brother is constantly and consistently punished for things he is not supposed to do, yet when given the chance he almost always does these things again and regrets them. It is almost comical how convinced he is that he will do better next time when he really doesn't stand a chance. I don't know how similar the compulsiveness is with BPD, but I'm sure extent of continual and unrelenting negation to what is okay is the same.

I could blab on and on about autism and how it affects people but I think this is a good enough answer. Like I said I'm really not an expert on the subject, and my own personal experiences with both disorders cannot generalize everybody, as everybody and every disorder are unique in themselves.

TL;DR Both disorders have some similarities but they are really quite different.
hanswenkeetch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:00 am

Postby pamelaperejil » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 pm

hanswenkeetch wrote:
Perhaps the biggest difference between BPD and autism is when they begin. BPD usually starts showing signs at anywhere from 15-20 years of age. In contrast, autism starts at a much younger age of usually below 2 years old.

Interesting.

My brother is constantly and consistently punished for things he is not supposed to do, yet when given the chance he almost always does these things again and regrets them. It is almost comical how convinced he is that he will do better next time when he really doesn't stand a chance.

Also interesting.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:34 am

I think that quite often there may be mild autism/aspergers smothered under BPD.. so that's worth considering.

But.. if someone definitely has just one, then the easiest way to tell them apart would probably be to look at empathy. People with autism struggle a lot with cognitive empathy and social cues, and people with BPD are generally fine (often much better than 'fine') at cognitive empathy and social cues.

There are some people with autism that are great with cognitive empathy stuff, but it's unusual.

In my experience, both autism and BPD can be seen from an early age.. both are visible in childhood - but BPD 'can' develop through the teen years (it's not always there from birth.. it seems connected to teen years/puberty for some people)- autism is there from birth, with the most obvious signs starting to become obvious to onlookers from around 2 years of age.
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:00 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby pamelaperejil » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:28 pm

seabreezeblue wrote:I think that quite often there may be mild autism/aspergers smothered under BPD.. so that's worth considering.

I think you're probably right. That's what I'm going with for right now.

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Autism Forum

• Related articles