Our partner

Semi non-verbal and obedience issues

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Semi non-verbal and obedience issues

Postby ryansdad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Hello, my son is 6 yeas old and he is Semi non-verbal like not using sentences and sometimes i he has to or forced he says short sentences or words, we live in New York, he did not burn in US and came to US after 5yrs old so he started to go to special school according to his IEP just now, he has occupational and speech therapy sessions at school but because of school system when they are getting result the school is over and next teacher should start all over again so he getting used to new environment takes time, i am very worried about him and he being able to speak and talk is becoming my nightmares, will he be able to speak and talk?

sometimes he make a sound like DUHHHHH when he disagreeing with something or when having an episode! we are really desperate how to confront him i would like to know about the working and successful experience other parents have to confront this problem, so far what we do is speaking firm to him but its not working very well!

i really appreciate any help. i know my questions might has been asked before but every spectrum is different so i wanted to start a new thread. Thank you very much
ryansdad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Semi non-verbal and obedience issues

Postby seabreezeblue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 am

I'd honestly slow right down and accept the child you have instead of trying to mould him into the child you want him to be.
He clearly has some ability to learn language, but how much isn't clear at all from what you've said.. but it's positive that he can communicate at least a little in words, because that makes it easier for you.

How about him though.. is he happy enough? what does he enjoy and find helpful?
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby ryansdad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:51 pm

seabreezeblue wrote:I'd honestly slow right down and accept the child you have instead of trying to mould him into the child you want him to be.
He clearly has some ability to learn language, but how much isn't clear at all from what you've said.. but it's positive that he can communicate at least a little in words, because that makes it easier for you.

How about him though.. is he happy enough? what does he enjoy and find helpful?

Thank you for the reply. i have accepted him and love him even more! he makes eye contact he is very happy boy and always giving hugs & kiss to his momy and sometimes me he is fan of spreading his love with his parents and also his teacher.
he has no problem being touched but sometimes when we are firm with him and telling not to do something he takes and our hand and push it in his nose or waistline or odd places which we don't know why....
he is always talking in his own invented gibberish or baby language! sometime we notice some familiar words in it, i don't know what this invented language means and is it good or bad and is it common in non verbals?

my other question was about confronting children like my son, when they do bad thing or they are being agitated not allowing them to do something! so far the only thing that we get answer is to threat him to turning of the TV as he is very fixated to TV and the only thing we are allowed to put on TV is his favorite Cartoons (my wife and i watch my TV on my PC!) but when we are outside we can not use the same trick as there is no TV. anyway what we do is pick him up and hug him but again doesn't work, so what is the best disciplining you suggest?
ryansdad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby seabreezeblue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:12 pm

but sometimes when we are firm with him and telling not to do something he takes and our hand and push it in his nose or waistline or odd places which we don't know why....

He could be reassuring himself.. if i'm distressed, i find physical contact helpful (only from very specific people).
he is always talking in his own invented gibberish or baby language! sometime we notice some familiar words in it, i don't know what this invented language means and is it good or bad and is it common in non verbals?

I'd be looking at him as the age that he is mentally, rather than his physical age. From around the ages of 1-2, toddlers babble and you start being able to recognise some familiar words in what they say.
So i'd be viewing his language development to be at around the 18 months ish mark.. and you should treat him accordingly.
As for whether it's good or bad.. you're going to have to judge each babble seperately here - if he smiles/sounds happy then it's probably good.. and if he cries/sounds distressed then it's probably not so good.
But.. all the babble is really helping him - while his language skills aren't good right now, all the babbling is positive because it means he's trying to learn how to speak and he'll probably progress beyond this current point (no idea how far, but it does sound like he's giving it a good try).
He also seems to understand a fair bit, so that's positive as well.

my other question was about confronting children like my son, when they do bad thing or they are being agitated not allowing them to do something! so far the only thing that we get answer is to threat him to turning of the TV as he is very fixated to TV and the only thing we are allowed to put on TV is his favorite Cartoons (my wife and i watch my TV on my PC!) but when we are outside we can not use the same trick as there is no TV. anyway what we do is pick him up and hug him but again doesn't work, so what is the best disciplining you suggest?

Since he likes the TV so much, and there are particular cartoons he likes, you could perhaps think of a way of using that to aid with discipline when you're outdoors as well.
I'll have a think about that and post a bit more when i've considered that a bit.

he makes eye contact

Has he been taught to, or is he natually okay with it?

You'd be surprised just how many non autistic people hate making eye contact, or find it very uncomfortable.
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby ryansdad » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:49 am

first i really appreciate you guys replying and it is very comforting for both me and my wife, we have been to a doctor but Autism seems to be different spectrum and different.
He could be reassuring himself.. if i'm distressed, i find physical contact helpful (only from very specific people).

he does this only with my wife and I, also does this behavior when for example there is something in his lips and we clean it and he gets distress and takes our hand to touch there again! he has develop this behavior since last year and it's odd cause he is really ok with touching even strange people or doctors can touch him.
I'd be looking at him as the age that he is mentally, rather than his physical age. From around the ages of 1-2, toddlers babble and you start being able to recognise some familiar words in what they say.
So i'd be viewing his language development to be at around the 18 months ish mark.. and you should treat him accordingly.
As for whether it's good or bad.. you're going to have to judge each babble seperately here - if he smiles/sounds happy then it's probably good.. and if he cries/sounds distressed then it's probably not so good.
But.. all the babble is really helping him - while his language skills aren't good right now, all the babbling is positive because it means he's trying to learn how to speak and he'll probably progress beyond this current point (no idea how far, but it does sound like he's giving it a good try).
He also seems to understand a fair bit, so that's positive as well.

we always thought that he had late speech development until he got 4 yrs old and we knew there is more to it, at some point when he was 1 year old he was saying some words but later he didn't so it was confusing for us and we didn't suspect autism. he babbles like a toddler when he plays he likes music very much and he babbles Incy Wincy Spider Nursery Rhyme....

Since he likes the TV so much, and there are particular cartoons he likes, you could perhaps think of a way of using that to aid with discipline when you're outdoors as well.
I'll have a think about that and post a bit more when i've considered that a bit.

he loves TV and his own specific cartoons over and over, he used to hate and very scared of Peppa Pig cartoon since he was toddler till recently and now he watches his carton on TV and Peppa Pig on the spare mobile phone we have and he watches them both together wouldn't giveup untill the battery is drained! we also are not allowed to put Peppa Pig in TV! everything has to be according to his taste and routines he resist to changes to his routines and takes a very long time to get used to them, it's funny before when we wanted to discipline him i used to tell him to stop or i will put Peppa Pig and i change the program then back to normal...anyway thank you very much, looking forward for any suggestions, specially when we are outside, for example in the morning when we take him downstairs if his school bus does not come within couple minutes he starts yelling shouting very lowed! (cause he sees other school bus and other kids taking their own bus) in this situation we are desperate specially when he is alone with my wife. he won't even goes for a walk in the block to kill time.
Has he been taught to, or is he natually okay with it?

You'd be surprised just how many non autistic people hate making eye contact, or find it very uncomfortable.

you asked a very good question, if he wants to make eye contact he comes very close and look at your eyes and laughs or babbling something. when we call him he looks at us, but when we want him to do something or specially say something or repeating something he ignores us and try to escape and not to make eye contacts at all.

i also want to say something about his tics or repetitive habits, he does something actually very cute when he enjoys something very much, this can be a scene from his cartoons, or when he see something for the first time (can be a small girl in the park playing, or a music) what he does is he rise and fold his both hands close to his mouth and makes a happy sound and moves his fingers (sorry my English is not good to explain better) we always tell him it's not a good thing to do specially when he does it for a long time and outside, he knows we don't like it outside and when we are out he does this without the hands but we see his ritualistic movements in his face :lol:

i really love my son, i love him no matter of what but i also am very worried for him, i want him to tell us about his day, or if he is sick he tell us what is wrong (now he points and takes our hand to the place he has pain) i really want him to improve verbally.
later on i will explain how he plays and he makes his own toys with paper towels! also he is amazingly genius to make sculpture of things he likes with even a piece of clothes or papers
ryansdad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Autism Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post