Our partner

Brushing teeth

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Brushing teeth

Postby Brids17 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Ever since I was a kid I had a hard time brushing my teeth. Not the actual act of doing it but getting myself to actually do it. This has continued to be a problem all the way to where I am now, at 28 years old. I've never really searched for help because of same that I often go a week or more without brushing my teeth. However I don't want to lose them and since I don't work, trips to the dentist for a cleaning are rare. I'm not entirely sure what it is that's stopping me from brushing them, there's the general anxiety of doing it, which comes with doing pretty much anything in life but I don't know how to get around that. I also know I can never find a toothbrush flavour I don't hate and finding a toothbrush that I like the sensation of is difficult as well. I got one from the hospital one time that I really liked but I don't think they sell them to civilians, I think it's only in bulk to hospitals. =\
Brids17
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:17 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Brushing teeth

Postby ogr » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Shhh... don't tell any dentist... I never brush my teeth in the conventional way.

Every day I clean myself... 5 days per week. I clean my teeth, without a toothbrush or toothpaste. I can't handle the whole situation. Let's say I am about to wash or shower, I have my own bath products that get washed right after I wash/shower. Let's say it's a flannel, I wash my body with said flannel, with soap fresh onto the flannel, I will use it to clean my teeth.

It is the only way I can do it. I have tried many many toothpaste and toothbrush but I just can't handle it... I am now 29.
Diagnosed with Aspergers in 2002
Re-diagnosed with High functioning Autism in 2010.
Re-diagnosed with Medium functioning Autism in 2012.
Diagnosed with dyslexia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dysgraphia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyspraxia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyscalculia in 2000
ogr
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 am

Postby Audrey1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:34 am

Have you tried using mouthwash? It’s not as effective as brushing your teeth, but it’s better than nothing.
Audrey1
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 am

Postby serpand » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:54 am

For a long time i disregarded my personal higiene, for a very high cost. I learned from example. In the presence of others which had bad breath, eventually i aquired sensitivity for the agression it represents for people who care for their body. Since i like people and want to please them, i now care for brushing teeth. The problem is that not caring for the body pops up unpleasent thoughs in the minds of those who care, and creates tension. This means you have a problem, which needs to be solved, and caring folks will try to help, but it rests in your hands to solve the problem. By aknowledging that you love people around you and you dont want to cause unrest in their lives, then you will make an effort to brush your teeth and in a couple of days it will became an easy habit to maintain, since you will now be equiped with the sensitivity you lack.
serpand
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 am

Postby WhatsMyDxAgain » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Omg, I didn't realize how long this was until I previewed it just prior to posting!

TLDR: use a washcloth (as suggested) and go to Los Algodones.

I'm so glad you posted this. I'm 46 and have always hated brushing my teeth. It gives me a choking sensation when I brush anywhere but my front teeth. I feel like I'm going to gag and puke. I don't mind the sensation of the bristles themselves, or the flavor (well, I hate all flavors) so that's not really the problem. It's literally having something foreign in my mouth that I can't stand. Funny, it doesn't happen when I eat; I don't have any trouble swallowing.

My mother is a nasty hoarder who never taught us anything about hygiene so I figure that's at least partly to do with it.

I just (a couple weeks ago) got an autism diagnosis and I'm going to assume it's also related to that.

Anyway, like I said I'm 46 and I'm seeing the effects of not brushing. I have mouth pain, and one of my teeth has actually broken off. I can't afford a dentist so not really sure what's going to happen with it. I have nightmares about them falling out, one by one like a mouthful of marbles falling out.

I can't smell it but I'm assuming I have bad breath which makes me avoid people and has ruined more than one relationship. It's just so anxiety-producing whenever I try to talk myself into doing it.

Sorry, I'm rambling. What I'm trying to say is that if you don't get control of this, you WILL regret it later. Someone's idea of using a flannel (washcloth, facecloth, etc, depending on what country you're in), is an excellent suggestion. Even if you don't use anything with it (soap, toothpaste, etc). It's certainly not going to get everything that a brush would but it's way better than doing nothing. Also, swish your mouth really really well with water anytime you eat ANYTHING.

Maybe you could try a very soft brush with no toothpaste? Maybe even like a baby toothbrush?

Regarding going to the dentist, if you're anywhere near Texas I highly recommend going across the border to Los Algodones. It's a town whose (almost) sole economy is related to dental care. Tens of thousands of people go there every year for crazy cheap dental care. They use the same equipment, same sterilized instruments, etc, as any dentist in the US but they don't jack up the prices like they do in the US. Their prices average a third of what it would cost in the US. There's other places in Mexico that do the same thing (I think Cancun is one, and also Tijuana), but I think Los Algodones has the best reputation. Anyway, just an idea. So many people struggle with the cost of dentistry and most people have never heard of this town, so I make a point of spreading the word whenever I get a chance. I would go but I'm on the east coast with no way to get there.

Anyway, thanks for posting. When I was much younger I knew someone with a severely autistic kid and trying to brush his teeth every night was hell. I think it's a bigger problem in autism than many realize because not brushing (and the resulting bad breath) is embarrassing to talk about, so thank you for starting the conversation.
PTSD,
BiPolar I,
Avoidant Personality Disorder,
Major Depression, anxiety/Social Phobia/panic attacks/flashbacks,
Agoraphobic Tendencies,
Autism

Geodon 80mg, 2x/day
Klonopin 1mg, 3x/day
Mirtazapine 30mg at night for sleep (alternate with trazadone 150mg to avoid tolerance)
Ritalin 20mg, 2x/day
WhatsMyDxAgain
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 am

Return to Autism Forum