Our partner

ASD Life

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

ASD Life

Postby techlife95 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:19 am

How does one keep conversations going? All my life I have struggled with self confidence and struggle with keeping conversations going :(
techlife95
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ASD Life

Postby ogr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 pm

I find this very hard, the natural flow of a conversation between family members amazes me.

When we are talking about subject "a" I can't think of what to say, when the conversation reaches a new subject "b" or even further changes. Something pops into my head about conversation "a" and when there is a pause, I say what is in my head. This really confuses everyone as I am not concentrating on what they are currently saying, I just have to say what's in my head.
Diagnosed with Aspergers in 2002
Re-diagnosed with High functioning Autism in 2010.
Re-diagnosed with Medium functioning Autism in 2012.
Diagnosed with dyslexia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dysgraphia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyspraxia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyscalculia in 2000
ogr
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:16 pm

Postby leiladream » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 pm

I have the same problem when I'm with other people which I'm not emotionally close to, or familiar with. If I spent an hour or two with a family member or friend to catch up, I can say a lot. But then I get to that point where there's nothing else to say and I just don't see the point in talking to them anymore. I think it makes the other person feel awkward :roll:

You could try bringing up a special interest or talking about yourself. It might be hard to know whether or not the other person is into it but if they ask questions, that's usually a good sign, I think. A good thing I do is ask questions about them, and people usually like to talk about themselves.
leiladream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby serpand » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am

It is hard to keep emotional engagement for long. Even if i manage to talk i cant fake emotions, sventually people lose interest. To keep a minimum ability to speak its important to dedicate yourself to a number of actibities where you may progress, to have paxonate subjects to share. This also raises your self esteem, which improves social interaction. An expressive skill is very important. I play the guitar. This allows me to exteriorize everything i cant normally express in socialization. Also tender to plants, and go fishing in the sea. When i spend too much time with people i get drained and exhausted. Its important to find your balance.
serpand
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:16 pm

Postby nightbirds » Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm

I am pretty good at conversations. Step one: Check in, ask how they are doing. Step two: Wait for the partner to suggest a topic. Step three: Bring up a skill or hobby you can somehow share with the other person, like a song on an instrument, a drawing, or a fact about chemistry.
nightbirds
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:16 am

Postby WhatsMyDxAgain » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Ugh, I just did this today. Someone asked me how my weekend was and I told them about taking my dog to the park. I never asked them how THEIR weekend was. Then the person next to me (I was at a day center) asked the first person how their weekend was and I was so embarrassed because I realized that *I* should have asked that. I always do that too. Don't know how to keep a conversation going to save my life.
PTSD,
BiPolar I,
Avoidant Personality Disorder,
Major Depression, anxiety/Social Phobia/panic attacks/flashbacks,
Agoraphobic Tendencies,
Autism

Geodon 80mg, 2x/day
Klonopin 1mg, 3x/day
Mirtazapine 30mg at night for sleep (alternate with trazadone 150mg to avoid tolerance)
Ritalin 20mg, 2x/day
WhatsMyDxAgain
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm

I think my problem has been figuring out if they really care or not. This shouldn't matter but I feel like time is being wasted. I'm not saying I spend my time better but perhaps I could. I don't think I really care what they did this weekend so maybe that's my problem. If I did ask, I'd then have to act like I do care and then I don't feel genuine.

Like ogr mentioned, my mind doesn't always go in sequential order so I may still be mulling over what was said in the previous conversation. If it's just me and the spouse, I can answer some questions up to an hour later once my mind decides an answer. In a group, I usually just keep to myself knowing I can hinder the proper flow of communication.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:16 am

Return to Autism Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post