Our partner

Autistic burnout

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Autistic burnout

Postby WhatsMyDxAgain » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:14 pm

I had never heard of this until the other day, although I can certainly relate. Basically, it's the process of wearing yourself out, physically and mentally, by trying to pass yourself off as "normal". It takes an enormous toll on most people. Some cycle through it, having multiple ups and down, and others (like me) hang on by their teeth until they have a huge breakdown.

If you've been told that your autism will get easier as you get older, and you're wondering why it seems to be getting *harder* instead, read this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boren.blog ... ssing/amp/
PTSD,
BiPolar I,
Avoidant Personality Disorder,
Major Depression, anxiety/Social Phobia/panic attacks/flashbacks,
Agoraphobic Tendencies,
Autism

Geodon 80mg, 2x/day
Klonopin 1mg, 3x/day
Mirtazapine 30mg at night for sleep (alternate with trazadone 150mg to avoid tolerance)
Ritalin 20mg, 2x/day
WhatsMyDxAgain
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Autistic burnout

Postby KitMcDaydream » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:25 pm

yes This hit me severely in my late twenties after having had to try to be normal and fit in all my life. I was in the last year of Uni, it wasn't the academic work I couldn't do but the social expectations of others of a person my age...eg boyfriend relationships to be more than just going to the pictures and hanging out together as friends. I REALLY REALLY struggled with the intense level of physical contact expected of me.

I ended up in a unit for 9 months and was diagnosed as autistic.
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 am

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm the huge breakdown type. Haven't shook this last one though. I might be down for the count.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:25 am

Postby KitMcDaydream » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:41 am

actually I now believe I'v had a second and that's what's caused the dissociation in my 30's to health problems.

I've even deleted social media in the name of one of my other persona's that was strongly associated with specific health problems so we don't have to be her anymore and living more or less totally isolated (apart from a few delivery men coming now and again).

We're down to 2 persona's the 'secret self' (original person born into this body that we always felt we had to hide) and the persona we first invented to cope with the world when we coped the best.

I'd like to be out there as myself one day but not ready yet, at the minute we still crave isolation in order to find ourselves again, so we really know who we are before we go back into the world.
KitMcDaydream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 am

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:52 am

KitMcDaydream wrote:We're down to 2 persona's the 'secret self' (original person born into this body that we always felt we had to hide) and the persona we first invented to cope with the world when we coped the best.

I'd like to be out there as myself one day but not ready yet, at the minute we still crave isolation in order to find ourselves again, so we really know who we are before we go back into the world.

That's pretty good. I'm not sure what I was left with but whatever I have now is just coasting, hoping to not interact at any meaningful level with life. Sometimes I think something is coming back but it tends to be short lived. I wonder if I finally hit hermit mode.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:25 am

Return to Autism Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post