Our partner

Autistic communication

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Autistic communication

Postby Justamind » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Hello all,

Ever since I was diagnosed with autism, I have been trying to understand how things work in autism. One of those things is communication, and I mainly thought about a specific thing that I would like your opinion on too see if I am on the right track of understanding.

Maybe you know the feeling where you just want to say something, there is something on your mind and you want to mention it. Some people with autism (mainly aspergers) that I have met really throw it out the second they get that feeling, others can resist it.

For example when you are reading something interesting, the thought of the interesting fact gets in your mind and there is that strong urge to share it.

Now what I feel is that the thought is like a buildup of energy, the longer it stays inside the mind without being said out loud, the more it builds up and starts to feel like a heavy weight on the brain, the mind can't pass the thought aside and move on but the thought just stays hanging around. But when you throw it out, the energy is gone and the brain actually feels relaxed. So the mind just prefers to throw it out the second it starts to build up.

Is that a bit how it feels to you too or am I wrong with my idea on it?
Justamind
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Autistic communication

Postby serpand » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:50 am

Everybody needs to express themselves. Normal people do it spontaneously in a fluid dialogue because their socialization machinery is tuned to one another and they react properly, while autistic are not sensitive to certain cues, and thoughts are formed but not spontaneously expressed. This may result in a response which may sound out of context. It's like you think what is the right response instead of spontaneously reacting according to what you think. In fact what you say may not reflect what you truly feel and believe about an issue because your a bit out of sync with the other person and you give an answer which is not properly interpreted. It's like the mind will think of what is proper to say at the time, this means that you want to express what you think but the response does not come out spontaneously and you feel the need to express yourself but you are not sure what the other person will interpret . Thus there's a drag in the expression which will build up the need to share the thoughts, sometimes ideas may slowly develop, and when you manage to put it out there it feels like you get really relived
serpand
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Autistic communication

Postby BlueNailedIcebear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Justamind wrote:Hello all,

Ever since I was diagnosed with autism, I have been trying to understand how things work in autism. One of those things is communication, and I mainly thought about a specific thing that I would like your opinion on too see if I am on the right track of understanding.

Maybe you know the feeling where you just want to say something, there is something on your mind and you want to mention it. Some people with autism (mainly aspergers) that I have met really throw it out the second they get that feeling, others can resist it.

For example when you are reading something interesting, the thought of the interesting fact gets in your mind and there is that strong urge to share it.

Now what I feel is that the thought is like a buildup of energy, the longer it stays inside the mind without being said out loud, the more it builds up and starts to feel like a heavy weight on the brain, the mind can't pass the thought aside and move on but the thought just stays hanging around. But when you throw it out, the energy is gone and the brain actually feels relaxed. So the mind just prefers to throw it out the second it starts to build up.

Is that a bit how it feels to you too or am I wrong with my idea on it?

Yes! So much! I have PDD NOS and I often randomly say something to my friends as it comes up, and if I don't say it, it keeps nagging at me. Just like when I want to say something, but I don't, and I start thinking about if I should still say it, because things will get awkward if I'd say it now, and in the end I'm a minute further and haven't payed any attention to what they were saying. :oops:
BlueNailedIcebear
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Autism Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post