Our partner

Sarcasm

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Sarcasm

Postby LachrymosePhoenix » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:26 am

Do you have trouble understanding sarcasm, metaphors, or common idioms? What types of soxial interactions do you find particularly confusing or frustrating?

I find that social situations become more uncomfortable based on how many people are in the vicinity. I generally have no idea if I am well liked or not. Can you relate?
LachrymosePhoenix
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sarcasm

Postby caughtinafray » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Sarcasm, not really, but metaphors and other subtle figures of speech, yes. A well known autism spectrum trait is taking what others say at face value. And I agree about the number of people in the vicinity being tailored to anxiety, IMO it's because more people within earshot means more people to potentially notice if you have an awkward moment.
DX: Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Bipolar type 2
caughtinafray
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (64)

Postby WhatsMyDxAgain » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:02 pm

caughtinafray wrote:Sarcasm, not really, but metaphors and other subtle figures of speech, yes. A well known autism spectrum trait is taking what others say at face value. And I agree about the number of people in the vicinity being tailored to anxiety, IMO it's because more people within earshot means more people to potentially notice if you have an awkward moment.

I have to agree with the part about taking things at face value. I take things sooooo literally. And, yes, the bigger the group the more anxious I get because not only are they witness to my social awkwardness, but I am paranoid that they are laughing amongst themselves about me when I leave the room.
PTSD,
BiPolar I,
Avoidant Personality Disorder,
Major Depression, anxiety/Social Phobia/panic attacks/flashbacks,
Agoraphobic Tendencies,
Autism

Geodon 80mg, 2x/day
Klonopin 1mg, 3x/day
Mirtazapine 30mg at night for sleep (alternate with trazadone 150mg to avoid tolerance)
Ritalin 20mg, 2x/day
WhatsMyDxAgain
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby leiladream » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:00 pm

LachrymosePhoenix wrote:Do you have trouble understanding sarcasm, metaphors, or common idioms? What types of soxial interactions do you find particularly confusing or frustrating?

I find that social situations become more uncomfortable based on how many people are in the vicinity. I generally have no idea if I am well liked or not. Can you relate?

I don't usually respond to sarcasm and usually either take it literally or ignore it. Sometimes I can sense the person doesn't mean what they are saying, but I don't understand what they're trying to say. It's confusing. Metaphors are really weird so I tend to ask people to explain what it means, if I am comfortable with that person. Otherwise I'll totally ignore it. I also have a lot of common idioms memorized, from going to school or TV. Although when I was avoiding social situations for several years, they did sound really weird to me in conversations.

I find people who know that I am autistic, and they know that I don't get jokes or sarcasm but do it anyway, to make me really angry. I think it's rude and I start thinking they're full of crap. I am uncomfortable around groups too, unless I can ignore everyone. I tend to talk to the person next to me, if they seem ok for me to talk to. I don't think about whether people like me or not until I am alone again. That's when I start to worry whether I made a good impression on people or not. Not sure if I relate, but just wanted to share how it's like for me.
leiladream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby BlueNailedIcebear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:41 pm

LachrymosePhoenix wrote:Do you have trouble understanding sarcasm, metaphors, or common idioms? What types of soxial interactions do you find particularly confusing or frustrating?

Yea, I often just laugh things off if my friends do too, and I often take things literally, or at least doubt if they meant it literally or not. I heard that's pretty normal for people with autism so at least we're not alone!
BlueNailedIcebear
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:35 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby serpand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:06 am

I can't maintain emotional engagement in a conversation for long, but I enjoy listening to people. When I am talking the listener will quickly lose interest. It was hard to realize I can't contribute much to the group in conversation. still I feel loved and I do enjoy being around people. I just get shutdown if people around talk a lot and eventually I get really tired. This is not good because then I disconnect and I lose my initiative and can't decide to leave.i get stuck in the moment and stop moving, like a statue, and my mind completely blurred.

Also if I feel attracted to a girl caos settles in, I can't be funny or spontaneous. I overthink everything and of course transmit "complications" signals. In most occasions where I did engaged all the caos disappears and I feel fine. Only thing is that I feel attached and is hard to understand what is the best way to manage the relationship.
serpand
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 am

Postby MrMars » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:51 pm

I used to struggle with detechting sarcasm a lot but over the past few years ive trained myself to pick up on cues. It still doesnt make conversation any easier, esp when someone is sarcastic like 90% of the time
MrMars
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby jordan51 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 am

I don't have autism, but I can give advice. Best thing you can do is memorize cues and watch for them when you suspect someone is being sarcastic. Some common ones I do are raising my eyebrows, lowering my eyelids, and tilting my head down. Sometimes I squint one of my eyes. You can also ask your close friends if they can give you information on how to pick up their particular cues.

-- Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm --

I don't have autism, but I can give advice. Best thing you can do is memorize cues and watch for them when you suspect someone is being sarcastic. Some common ones I do are raising my eyebrows, lowering my eyelids, and tilting my head down. Sometimes I squint one of my eyes. You can also ask your close friends if they can give you information on how to pick up their particular cues.
NPD.
jordan51
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ogr » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 pm

I have to keep asking, sarcasm?

Example, my mum will come down in 20mins and say thanks for doing the kitchen - As I did I ask, sarcasm? she will say yes or no, if I forgot say a plate, it's sarcasm, if I didn't wipe the sides down it's sarcasm. But to me,I did the kitchen and it's very clean. And if it's up to my mums standered, she will say no.
Diagnosed with Aspergers in 2002
Re-diagnosed with High functioning Autism in 2010.
Re-diagnosed with Medium functioning Autism in 2012.
Diagnosed with dyslexia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dysgraphia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyspraxia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyscalculia in 2000
ogr
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Audrey1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 am

Sometimes I have trouble figuring out if someone is serious or joking. I’ve gotten better at it as I’ve gotten older, but I still have problems.
Audrey1
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Next

Return to Autism Forum