Our partner

ASD and a psychopath?

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

ASD and a psychopath?

Postby guyonthewall » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:49 pm

I was diagnosed with ASD at 41. However, I fit so well with being a psychopath it is scary. Is it possible I could be both?
guyonthewall
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ASD and a psychopath?

Postby GuyVinces » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 am

No.
Creating Something Out Of Nothing Only To Destroy It

Official DX: SPD and depersonalization

MotherRussia wrote:DDK I imagine he is quiet and wears black a lot and doesn't speak much. Mysterious but observing everything at the same time.
GuyVinces
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:31 am

Postby houses » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:28 am

psychopathy is not a diagnosis.

antisocial personality disorder is a diagnosis. in order to receive that diagnosis, one must have done something bad in childhood to earn conduct disorder diagnosis (or would have).

still, autism spectrum disorder encapsulates much more than antisocial personality disorder would in more areas. personality disorders make interpersonal relationships uneven, one-sided, emotionally destructive, etc.

autism makes interpersonal relationships difficult to make, sustain, and end on their own.

antisocial personality disorder is typically shown with a severely diminished affective empathy and compassion, but normal or even better than normal cognitive empathy.

autistic people struggle with affective empathy in both directions (hyperempathy to no empathy), cognitive empathy (identifying how someone feels with reasoning). compassion varies in autistic people as in other groups of people.

autism spectrum disorder and antisocial personality disorder are not a common comorbid diagnoses. not impossible, but not likely.

that said, being manipulative, mean, and violent can be true of anyone.
hi i'm houses

autistic + ADHD + OCD + bipolar ii
currently taking: lamictal 150mg BID & bupropion 150mg BID & ativan 2mg PRN
houses
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:31 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby LachrymosePhoenix » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 am

They can appear similarly sometimes due to low empathy and a defeciency in the communication centers of the brain. It is unlikely that you have both.

Here's a fairly telling question: Have you been in and out of jail since you were young? Most ASPDs tend to be criminal, having little regard for safety of others or even themselves and do not learn from punishment.
LachrymosePhoenix
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:31 am

Postby MaxRaeder » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:25 pm

houses wrote:antisocial personality disorder is a diagnosis. in order to receive that diagnosis, one must have done something bad in childhood to earn conduct disorder diagnosis (or would have).

My apologies but that is simply not true, one can have an ASPD and never been 'caught' at any time, doing anything.

One might as well say, under UK law it is a fact that officially no crime has been committed until someone is convicted of some alleged transgression... so Mr Smith, found with the machete in one hand and the woman's head in the other screaming "I killed the [mod edit0...... is not a murderer because he has not been to court yet.

As for psychopath and sociopath they are used in an attempt to create some sort of definition within ASPD.... Unfortunately there is no definitive description of either, as some Dr's say psychopaths are ordered, sociopaths disordered... whilst others the exact opposite.

I suggest the OP sees his medical care people and obtains a fully professional diagnosis.... This is the problem with the internet imo, well meaning people who are confused
The internet... full of people I'd never deign to talk to in real life or even stand near.....
MaxRaeder
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Autism Forum