Our partner

do you suffer from apathy?

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

do you suffer from apathy?

Postby Auxiliary11 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:52 pm

It seems to me a lot of the negative symptoms of SCZ are very similar to that of the inertia of autism. The asociality, the potential cognitive defects, the flat affect display, the reduced speech and as I'm recently finding out... the apathy?

Wikipedia, as unreliable as it may be, still claims that both Aspergers and to an even greater degree -- Autism involves apathy as a symptom. There was also another site on the web that claimed that "The autistic version of depression is dominated by apathy, and a pretty profound inertia that can make it hard to approach tasks or even move physically". If you've seen people with mild/moderate autism speak, you'll know that they aren't the most driven bunch (and I mean that in the most respectable way possible); it's clear in their listless speech and their problems showing emotion. With this in mind it makes perfect sense that autistic people could suffer from 'clinical' apathy.

I've took an autism/aspergers test, and it always comes back in mild range, so I'm on the spectrum.

I'm asking here because I seriously think many of people labeled solely with negative symptoms are actually on the spectrum, and I'm genuinely surprised no one else is noticing this. I saw this vid online about a psychiatrist interviewing someone who supposedly had SCZ without positive symptoms. Except, the key here was that this dude was clearly stimming by twirling his hair, and had monotone speech -- that's autism. The dealbreaker here is whether or not the symptoms can be traced back to childhood, or if they began during adolescence.

It was even once thought that autism was a form of "childhood SCZ", until the distinction was made in 1980. I mean, the concept of negative symptoms is just that -- a concept, like all mental illnesses. There aren't any physical tests available to differentiate the inertia and defects in others disorders, from the so-called negative symptoms of SCZ. So if someone has a lack of motivation, lack of speech, lack of expression (or difficulty regulation emotions), and asociality -- why does that mean they inherently have SCZ? It's just a concept, it's not literally written on the walls of someones brain cells; and it's known that Autism, among other disorders (dementia for example) share similar symptoms. Know what I mean?

Also remember that someone can be severely autistic (barely able to speak, always drawn towards solitary activities etc.) and still be very smart.

I would really like to hear the opinions of others on this.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: do you suffer from apathy?

Postby innocent21 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:35 am

I have apathy. I have never felt the emotion love or empathy in my life.
innocent21
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:40 am

Postby houses » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:08 pm

autism and schizophrenia are cousins. they are related.

to suggest that apathy is common only to schizophrenia is not something a doctor would say. yes, negative symptoms are part of schizophrenia and its spectrum disorders, but it is also found in depression and bipolar people. positive symptoms define schizophrenia. psychotic symptoms define schizophrenia.

i am apathetic. i am not schizophrenic. many others are the same.
hi i'm houses

autistic + ADHD + OCD + bipolar ii
currently taking: lamictal 150mg BID & bupropion 150mg BID & ativan 2mg PRN
houses
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby leiladream » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:57 am

I have lots of apathy but I also suffer from recurring depression that I don't treat with meds, so I have a feeling my apathy is more related to the depression. I don't think ASD and depression are a good mix for me because I end up really out of the loop for months/years.
leiladream
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Return to Autism Forum