Our partner

Does it sound like PPD-NOS?

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Does it sound like PPD-NOS?

Postby PuerAeternus » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:38 pm

I suspect I have PPD-NOS. My mother always said I look like an autist, but I've tried talking about it to some friends and they don't believe it. Maybe you guys understand it better and can tell me your impressions...
What makes me think I might have atypical autism:
1. I stim. A lot. I mostly bounce back and forth.
2. I'm very sensitive. I get anxious at loud environments. When I was younger I used to lose total control at parties and had to isolate myself. Strong lights and some clothes also bother me.
3. I recently noticed I don't always respond to people. I assume they want to be heard but not that they want some answer to whatever they are talking about. When I meet someone for the first time I try my best to always answer them tho.
4. I have trouble with verbal communication. When I was younger I usually communicated through facial expressions. People always got angry at me for not expressing myself verbally. I'm talking more now but I always miss words and don't know how to put what I'm thinking into words.
5. I don't understand some social norms. I don't understand why people get angry if I don't thank or give good night to them.
6. I don't know how to keep a conversation
7. Things better go as I expected or I get frustrated. REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATED, even for minor things like.. going to buy milk chocolate and only finding bittersweet chocolate.
8. I lose balance when I'm walking
9. Making eye contact is tiring
10. I have some symptoms of OCD. It used to be worse, like "If I don't touch this object with both my hands, only one will get dirty"/"If I don't count to x, I will die"
11. People find my gestures weird. Sometimes I'm just playing with my sleeves or with my hands and people come asking if I'm ok or asking me why I'm doing it.
PuerAeternus
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Does it sound like PPD-NOS?

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:18 pm

why do you think it could be PDD-NOS or a-typical autism rather than just autism?

You sound fairly typical for someone on the spectrum to me.. not saying that you have autism of any variety - just saying that everything you've said fits easily within the criteria for autism.

I'd say that your mothers opinion is probably a more informed one than the opinion from your friends.. parents will generally see more unusual behaviours than friends will because we're more relaxed with family and they've known us for longer - they've seen us grow up and have seen all the little quirks and things that our friends may not.

so.. I think that a visit to the doc/psych might well be a good idea if you'd like some definite answers. They'll be able to say for sure whether you fit the criteria enough to get a diagnosis.
Is that something that's possible right now and that you'd like to pursue?
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby PuerAeternus » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:13 pm

seabreezeblue wrote:why do you think it could be PDD-NOS or a-typical autism rather than just autism?

You sound fairly typical for someone on the spectrum to me.. not saying that you have autism of any variety - just saying that everything you've said fits easily within the criteria for autism.

I'd say that your mothers opinion is probably a more informed one than the opinion from your friends.. parents will generally see more unusual behaviours than friends will because we're more relaxed with family and they've known us for longer - they've seen us grow up and have seen all the little quirks and things that our friends may not.

so.. I think that a visit to the doc/psych might well be a good idea if you'd like some definite answers. They'll be able to say for sure whether you fit the criteria enough to get a diagnosis.
Is that something that's possible right now and that you'd like to pursue?

Thank you for your reply. I think I'm atypical because I'm high-functioning. I'm independent, can control my behaviour and I have learned to interact with people, although it's still difficult and tiresome for me.
I also have a wide range of interests and no intellectual impairment. I always did well academically.
I might look for a professional but I don't plan to do it any time soon. I just stopped going to a psychologist these days and looking for a new one is a lot of work. I need a doc to attest I need psychological help, then my health insurance has to authorize it and it can take weeks, even months to make an appointment.
PuerAeternus
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:50 pm

That's all fairly typical for high functioning people on the spectrum.. if you do fit enough of the criteria and had been diagnosed a couple of years ago, you'd have aspergers.

I'm high functioning, independent, can control my behaviour and have learned to interact (though it completely wipes me out at times and sometimes i'm unable to interact in a proper way due to tiredness or dissociation).
I have a wide range of interests (though i have some interests that border on obsessive and i can get lost in research for hours).. I didn't do very well academically at school but that wasn't due to the aspergers, that was due to an incredibly stressful home and school environment.
I have no intellectual impairment either (unless we're counting dyslexia here.. :wink: ).

But.. since you don't plan on looking for a professional any time soon - i think the best idea is to pinpoint your weaknesses.. the areas that you'd like to improve on, and see what you can do to improve on things.

Many of us on the higher end of the spectrum are said to have an invisible disability - in that we can ''pass as normal'' but we never quite feel normal and acting like we're normal takes its toll on us.

But.. even if you end up finding out that you don't meet the criteria.. you're very welcome here and i hope to see you over on the aspergers forum if you'd like to wander over - we can always use some more members so anything you'd like to ask or any threads you'd like to join in with, please do (:
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby PuerAeternus » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:59 pm

seabreezeblue wrote:That's all fairly typical for high functioning people on the spectrum.. if you do fit enough of the criteria and had been diagnosed a couple of years ago, you'd have aspergers.

I'm high functioning, independent, can control my behaviour and have learned to interact (though it completely wipes me out at times and sometimes i'm unable to interact in a proper way due to tiredness or dissociation).
I have a wide range of interests (though i have some interests that border on obsessive and i can get lost in research for hours).. I didn't do very well academically at school but that wasn't due to the aspergers, that was due to an incredibly stressful home and school environment.
I have no intellectual impairment either (unless we're counting dyslexia here.. :wink: ).

But.. since you don't plan on looking for a professional any time soon - i think the best idea is to pinpoint your weaknesses.. the areas that you'd like to improve on, and see what you can do to improve on things.

Many of us on the higher end of the spectrum are said to have an invisible disability - in that we can ''pass as normal'' but we never quite feel normal and acting like we're normal takes its toll on us.

But.. even if you end up finding out that you don't meet the criteria.. you're very welcome here and i hope to see you over on the aspergers forum if you'd like to wander over - we can always use some more members so anything you'd like to ask or any threads you'd like to join in with, please do (:

I can definitely relate to that. Thank you for the warm welcome~ >3<
PuerAeternus
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Autism Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post