Our partner

Can a non autistic person have common autistic stims ?

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can a non autistic person have common autistic stims ?

Postby KA 97 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:00 am

For example tensing up and putting hands to mouth when excited or imagining something.
KA 97
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:53 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can a non autistic person have common autistic stims ?

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Absolutely..

I've seen many people without autism displaying a stimming type behaviour. It's also a bit linked to ADD and ADHD so if you have either of those then that could account for the stimming.

There's usually a diference between autistic and non autistic stimming though - people on the spectrum tend to stim in a stereotypical way (hand flapping, rocking etc)..

If you have any other symptoms of autism though, or the stimming bothers you (presumably for social reasons), then it's worth having a chat with your doc xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby KA 97 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 pm

seabreezeblue wrote:Absolutely..

I've seen many people without autism displaying a stimming type behaviour. It's also a bit linked to ADD and ADHD so if you have either of those then that could account for the stimming.

There's usually a diference between autistic and non autistic stimming though - people on the spectrum tend to stim in a stereotypical way (hand flapping, rocking etc)..

If you have any other symptoms of autism though, or the stimming bothers you (presumably for social reasons), then it's worth having a chat with your doc xx

Thanks for the reply, makes sense really, i have all the symptoms of inattentive ADD, and the stim I have i have complete control over, i control when i do it, and i don't do it much, I also have GAD but I think that comes from having an extremely tough childhood.

I'm guessing with autistic people they would do it more often and have less control over it?
KA 97
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ceboidea » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:17 pm

you don't even necessarily need any form of mental illness or disability to be able to find comfort in stimming.

but it's often common in ASD, of course, but also cousins of it, ie ADHD, OCD, etc.

most people stim without realizing it. stimming can be something as simple as shaking your foot or fidgeting.
night 18(??) m caretaker/fragment
monkey 18 m host
ceboidea
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Auxiliary11 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:31 pm

To the OP - yes they can, if you've bitten your nails or fidgeted before - then you've stimmed, so going off that it's pretty clear that neurotypicals can stim too.

My stims are quite prominent right now; for whatever reason I've been doing it more often the past few days. Stims like hand-wringing, hair pulling, tapping etc. are the ones I have going on now.

I'm trying to control it around others, because truth be told it's just plain freaky when you see someone acting like that in public...
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Autism Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views