Our partner

(Atypical) Treatment for ADHD

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

(Atypical) Treatment for ADHD

Postby MarshAbChaos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:39 am

Hey, I've been trying out different nonprescription things to help with ADHD. Generally I look for things that increase dopamine, or are good for cognition in general. Right now I occasionally use pseudoephedrine, but that isn't something I recommend. Its an over the counter nasal decongestant which happens to be a stimulant. I don't recommend it because it can't be used for long term realistically. From my experience your tolerance to the stuff increases very quickly.

I take a B-complex vitamin everyday because I experience better cognition when I have lots of B vitamins (specifically I've noticed it with b6 and b12).

Recently I've come upon Theanine (or l-theanine). It's suppose to increase the dopamine in the brain. This stuff is hot in Japan. I've found other forums where people have used it for ADHD but I didn't really see any consistent results (mostly just people asking about it, not actually trying it). I just bought some 200mg capsules, which I take one daily in the morning. I'll let you know how that works out. It might take some maneuvering because I've heard that it will make you pretty tired, but stimulants make me tired anyway so its not a problem I'm unfamiliar with. Usually if I have a coffee in the morning and coffee in the afternoon that helps, so I'll see if I need to do that with Theanine. Someone online said it should be taken with another supplement that promotes wakefulness, which I suppose is just an alternative to caffeine really, but I might end up giving that a try too if I feel I should.

If anyone else has any experience with nonprescription 'medication' with ADHD please share. Feel free to ask questions too.
Last edited by MarshAbChaos on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Nonprescription Medication

Postby MarshAbChaos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 am

Something else I'm looking at is piracetam. Another member here brought it up to me (MrOmega). It's a big nootropic so I'm doing some research into that.
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: Nonprescription Medication

Postby MarshAbChaos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:30 am

Okay guys, doing a lot of research into this now. Kind of hyperfocused on it, ya know? Hehe. Anyway looking into Tyrosine and L-Dopa now, precursors to dopamine. Also looked more in to piracetam...I'm really unsure if that is good specifically for adhd or is just an overall cognitive improver. Doesn't seem to effect dopamine at all but instead make our neurons fire quicker...or more efficiently...really unsure, haven't read enough about it. Might be something that can be taken WITH something that increases dopamine...but some might consider that excessive, and it might not be healthy...have to look into it. Found a few other things: Modafinil (don't know much about it yet, so no opinion) and Dexedrine (don't take that it's watered down Meth).

Tyrosine and L-Dopa...there is a lot on it. Here is a blog I found that is really good: http://adhd-treatment-options.blogspot. ... l/Tyrosine

Haven't read through the whole series on Tyrosine yet but the supplement seems really promising. What I've gathered from it so far is that it is turned into L-Dopa which is turned into dopamine and norepinephrine (another NT [neurotransmitter] low in ADHD brains). So far its suggested:
  • make sure our zinc, magnesuim, and iron levels are normal while taking Tyrosine
  • make sure to get Vitamin C
  • stay away from foods high in tryptophan (list of foods) for a few hours of taking Tyrosine
  • Keep your vitamin B6 up (B vitamins are good for helping ADHD anyway)

This is to help the supplement do the job we want it to (increase dopamine and norepinephrine).

Another thing talked about so far is taking L-Dopa vs. taking Tyrosine. Both are available without prescription in USA. Overall the blogger thought Tyrosine was the better choice after researching the topic. It can be found in Part 3.
Last edited by MarshAbChaos on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: (Atypical) Treatment for ADHD

Postby MarshAbChaos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:58 am

Some things I figured I should mention...
  • Exercise (about 30 minutes daily) helps increase dopamine and improve mood. Cardio and weight lifting...and it should be a rigorous work out.
  • Diet is important...I think a diet similar to the Mediterranean style diet is best for adhd. It promotes healthy brain function and is good for keeping the brain young. People with ADHD are at higher risk for dementia disorders later in life.
  • There are foods that help increase dopamine. Bananas, avocados, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds...here's a list
  • B vitamins are good for ADHD as is Vitamin C and folic acid...I take a multivitamin for "active metabolism" which has all those things and a few more that I've read are good for ADHD [iron, zinc, magnesium].

---

Found out that Modafinil is illegal in the USA other than prescription and that it's not considered a drug for ADHD anymore (only narcolepsy & a few other things like that). It isn't considered a controlled substance in the UK, Australia, Germany, Canada, Mexico, and India (so Wiki says). There is a close relative to Modafinil called Adrafinil that is not regulated in the US. When I start researching those drugs more (they are both stimulants just to let you know) I'll make sure to look into both of them.
Last edited by MarshAbChaos on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MarshAbChaos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Back to Tyrosine. I finished reading that 8 part blog series about using it for ADHD. The blogger mentioned a pretty big point with just increasing dopamine...it doesn't help with the transportation of dopamine, which appears to be a big thing for adhd. So taking dietary supplement or herbs to load the brain with dopamine (& norepinephrine) fall short usually. The blogger also mentioned that the studies that show tyrosine working for adhd tended to only work well for a short period (about two weeks). In the end their opinion was that tyrosine would work well with prescribed medication, but would fall short on its own. Fair enough.

If you plan to try it out you need to take a look at the blog, particular the last one because it lists some things you should know to do to help with the whole process. There is something they talk about that I didn't, which is a possible chemical buildup of a chemical you don't want so you have to watch out for. Too much of bad chemical equals very bad stuff indeed: skin cancer...hehe but don't let the word scare you, read what the blog had to say about it. Tyrosine is still considered minimal risk.

Personally, I think its worth a try on its own. Minimal risk for me to try it, not expensive, can find it pretty easily. I'll probably try it with stimulants as well to see how that goes (after I look up a few more things to make sure that's not too dangerous). Not now, right now I've got a bottle of Theanine burning a hole in my pocket. I still need to look up more information about Theanine! Should of looked it up first, but got distracted! :)
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MarshAbChaos » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:39 pm

The effects of L-theanine, caffeine and their combination on cognition and mood.
L-Theanine is an amino acid found naturally in tea. Despite the common consumption of L-theanine, predominantly in combination with caffeine in the form of tea, only one study to date has examined the cognitive effects of this substance alone, and none have examined its effects when combined with caffeine. The present randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind, balanced crossover study investigated the acute cognitive and mood effects of L-theanine (250 mg), and caffeine (150 mg), in isolation and in combination. Salivary caffeine levels were co-monitored. L-Theanine increased 'headache' ratings and decreased correct serial seven subtractions. Caffeine led to faster digit vigilance reaction time, improved Rapid Visual Information Processing (RVIP) accuracy and attenuated increases in self-reported 'mental fatigue'. In addition to improving RVIP accuracy and 'mental fatigue' ratings, the combination also led to faster simple reaction time, faster numeric working memory reaction time and improved sentence verification accuracy. 'Headache' and 'tired' ratings were reduced and 'alert' ratings increased. There was also a significant positive caffeine x L-theanine interaction on delayed word recognition reaction time. These results suggest that beverages containing L-theanine and caffeine may have a different pharmacological profile to those containing caffeine alone.

Hmm, all I can see is the abstract^^ on the study though, not any specifics...

The combined effects of L-theanine and caffeine on cognitive performance and mood.
The aim of this study was to compare 50 mg caffeine, with and without 100 mg L-theanine, on cognition and mood in healthy volunteers. The effects of these treatments on word recognition, rapid visual information processing, critical flicker fusion threshold, attention switching and mood were compared to placebo in 27 participants. Performance was measured at baseline and again 60 min and 90 min after each treatment (separated by a 7-day washout). Caffeine improved subjective alertness at 60 min and accuracy on the attention-switching task at 90 min. The L-theanine and caffeine combination improved both speed and accuracy of performance of the attention-switching task at 60 min, and reduced susceptibility to distracting information in the memory task at both 60 min and 90 min. These results replicate previous evidence which suggests that L-theanine and caffeine in combination are beneficial for improving performance on cognitively demanding tasks.

Hmm none of the studies I'm seeing are too big and they are not long term...
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MarshAbChaos » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Just to let you guys know, I'm currently taking the Theanine. I figured I'd take it for a while (a few weeks) and record what I notice. I've even gathered another person (who is ADD) to take it and I'll record what they notice as well. :D

It's too early to really know anything except it is definitely something to take with a mild stimulant. I get pretty tired unless I'm taking some caffeine. I've seen some people like to pair it with stronger stimulants claiming they work together really well. Supposedly theanine takes away some stimulant effects like excitement and jitters etc that people generally get with stimulants. Personally (and I know a lot of ADHD people) don't react the standard way to stimulants so I'm unsure how well that combo would be for us.
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Xena » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:24 am

Cool. There hasn't been much of interest around here since the "I should be doing my homework but all I can think about is boobies" guy. Just when I was wishing these forum members had the attention span to stop by more than once/year and quit posting all the good stuff on the AsPD forum :wink:

Then again, we're probably not allowed to post on this forum about how therapeutic it is to beat the crap out of somebody in a bar brawl :twisted:

I'll try some of those nootropic thingies and tell you how it goes. :)
"Don't argue with crazy people. You'll look like you're the one who's crazy." -Mom
Xena
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 am

Postby MarshAbChaos » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 am

I know right? No one posts in this subforum...despite there being so many ADD people!

Theanine btw just made me tired and I didn't notice any changes in cognition. I admitt I did stop taking it much quicker than I planned but there was no point to continue really. It's good for taking the edge of stimulants if they make you hyper/jittery/aggressive. When I took theanine with a stimulant, I was just more tired. So if stimulants make you tired, I wouldn't really suggest it. I did notice theanine is in an energy drink I like a lot that I find has a mellower feel than normal ones and doesn't give the crash that normal ones do. so maybe an amount much smaller than 200mg would help with crashes from stimulants?

Got some tyrosine, going to have a go at that.
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MarshAbChaos » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:27 am

Hmmm Tyrosine on it's own didn't do much for me. Tried it with stimulants and it was almost like they canceled each other out which was pretty unexpected. So Theanine and Tyrosine are no goes for me!

-- Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 pm --

Hmmm Tyrosine on it's own didn't do much for me. Tried it with stimulants and it was almost like they canceled each other out which was pretty unexpected. So Theanine and Tyrosine are no goes for me!
MarshAbChaos
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post