Our partner

I have trouble reading. Do I have ADD?

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I have trouble reading. Do I have ADD?

Postby nux bqt » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:25 pm

People don't seem to believe me when I tell them that I have trouble reading, because, they say, if that was the case then I wouldn't have been able to finish college. The thing is, though, when I was in college I always leaned towards classes that required as little reading as possible: math, science, programming, etc. It is true that I was able to do well in college in spite of my "problem," but reading was always an arduous task for me. Reading is not something that I normally do for leisure (though I'd like to). Here are my problems when I try to read something, especially a book:

Poor concentration. If I read something interesting my mind might wander from A to B, from B to C, from C to D, all the while I'm staring at the page in front of me, until I am thinking about something totally irrelevant to the reading.

Poor comprehension. Sometimes I'll read a sentence and it's like my mind doesn't decode the information in front of my eyes. I find myself rereading sentences several times until my mind makes sense of them. It's rare for me to read a sentence only once, especially if I am reading literature.

Poor memory. If I don't make mental notes it's unlikely I'd remember the stuff that I read a few pages ago. Having to make mental notes distracts me and slows down the reading.

More poor concentration. I find myself worrying about things that I shouldn't be worrying about. It's rare for me to not keep track of the number of pages left till I finish the book or a chapter.

That's what it's like when I read a book that I am interested in. If I'm forced to read a book about a subject that I am not interested in, I'm a total disaster.

Do I sound like I have ADD? I recently underwent a psychological evaluation and the topic of ADD didn't come up.
nux bqt
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Sun_Girl » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:16 am

It really sounds like you had ADD to me.

Bad concentration, poor memory, processing problems, blah blah....

When I read something for too long, my interest will dissolve pretty fast and my head wanders from place to place as you've descirbed. Especially during boring reading material and I can probably count off the numbers of classroom lectures I've listened to for more than 10 minutes off my fingers (lol).

The processing part made me laugh to myself. My mom and I have ADHD and we've talked about how we reread sentences all the time to make the information soak up, like you. Also, directions especially, both written and verbal are confusing for me at first. I need a few seconds to go over them in head to make sense of it.

Your experiences sound a lot like that your own ways.... This evaluation really didn't cover AD/HD? What did it cover?
Sun_Girl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Postby nux bqt » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:26 am

Sun_Girl wrote:Your experiences sound a lot like that your own ways.... This evaluation really didn't cover AD/HD? What did it cover?

It was just a general psychological evaluation. The psychologist asked me a bunch of questions and I also had to complete a multiple choice questionnaire. The diagnosis was Anxiety.

As for the ADD, I did mention it to the psychologist but apparently she didn't think I had it since I didn't end up getting diagnosed with that condition. A psychologist I talked to online (or a person claiming to be one) once told me that she didn't think I have ADD, and that my concentration problems are more likely caused by depression and lack of interest. I doubt that's the case, since I am not depressed and obviously I don't lack the interest as I have these problems even when I read books I really want to read.
nux bqt
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Sun_Girl » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:28 am

I dunno.

I can see how depression or anxiety can you drive you off.

Usually when I space out I'll be daydreaming or just thinking about something else in general, thought not always something stessing or depressing.

Anxiety and ADHD tend to run together...... When you space out, does your head always go to something stressing?

Btw, I'm no psychiatrist, but I can speak from experience is all. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADHD_predo ... V_criteria
DSM-IV criteria
The DSM-IV allows for diagnosis of the predominantly inattentive subtype of ADHD if the individual presents six or more of the following symptoms of inattention for at least six months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.
Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.
Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).
Often has trouble organizing activities.
Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).
Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).
Is often easily distracted.
Is often forgetful in daily activities.
A requirement for an ADHD-I diagnosis is that of the symptoms that cause impairment must have been present before seven years of age and symptoms must be present in two or more settings (e.g., at school or work and at home). There must also be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning. Lastly, the symptoms must not occur exclusively during the course of a pervasive developmental disorder, schizophrenia, or other psychotic disorder, and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., mood disorder, anxiety disorder, dissociative disorder, personality disorder.)

[edit] Examples of observed symptoms
Children [3]

Failing to pay close attention to details or making careless mistakes when doing schoolwork or other activities
Trouble keeping attention focused during play or tasks
Appearing not to listen when spoken to
Failing to follow instructions or finish tasks
Avoiding tasks that require a high amount of mental effort and organization, such as school projects
Frequently losing items required to facilitate tasks or activities, such as school supplies
Excessive distractibility
Forgetfulness
Procrastination, inability to begin an activity
Difficulties completing household chores
Adults [4]

Often making careless mistakes when having to work on uninteresting or difficult projects
Often having difficulty keeping attention during work
Often having difficulty concentrating on conversations
Having trouble finishing projects that have already been started
Often having difficulty organizing for the completion of tasks
Avoiding or delaying in starting projects that require a lot of thought
Often misplacing or having difficulty finding things at home or at work
Often distracted by activity or noise
Often having problems remembering appointments or obligations

Any of that sound like you? Especially your child self to the child symptom examples. :)
Sun_Girl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby gothic_mummy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:09 pm

My husband can't read either. Obviously he CAN read but he can't read for example a novel. He says it's like he'll read a couple of paragraphs but he'll get muddled about what he's just read and have to re-read it to absorb all of the information he's just read. He described it as looking through the window of a fast moving car, you can't always make sense of what you see becuase it goes past so quickly. You know there might have been some trees but you don't have a detailed picture. When you do go back to take a look at the trees, you've lost sight of the road ahead.
gothic_mummy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Re: I have trouble reading. Do I have ADD?

Postby Mehndif » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:47 am

Did you ever find out any other information concerning your problem? I have the exact same problem but it has affected me my whole life. I have never ever read a book that was anything more than Dr. Suess. I made it through high school/was even in honors english. I like hearing information and writing information and am very intellegent, that is probably how I made it through school with such good grades, but not reading text books or other. I made it through college and have 3 degrees and even teach kindergarten, I hate reading and avoid reading to the kids-although I do sometimes and even have books on CD-my kids are all doing excellent-that is not the problem. I just don't know why I can't even get through a paragraph without all the problems you mentioned. I am not dislexic and do not have vision problems, it is something in my head that won't let me complete the material, gives me a headache and makes me frustrated. It is a joke in my family-doing so well in life without ever reading.
Please let me know if you found out anything because I am now 30 and would love to read things I find interesting, but can't bring myself to do it.
Mehndif
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby evrkrost » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:41 am

I have been searching every where for this. You nearly described me perfectly. I am 30 now and still cannot make it further than a couple pages into a book. The irony is my test scores placed me in the top 3% of the nation in Reading Comprehension. I am intelligent and educated but I just cannot seem to finish a chapter. It almost seems like my brain is moving faster than my eyes can see the words or perhaps vice versa.
I do hope that it is ADD, because there are treatments for that nowadays right? I mean it seems like these symptoms are spreading into other areas of my life as-well. Like starting a project and being fully motivated and excited about it but 2 days later it is almost impossible to make myself find the energy or motivation to even start it up again.
Does anyone have anymore insight into this? I am highly interested in hearing more about this topic.
Chris
evrkrost
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Postby Fragment Shadow » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:44 am

I think the key for me is if the subject matter happens to be in my "zone" of interest for that time. However there are times when it feels like there's a cloudy fishbowl around my head and I know I'm not going to be able to focus. Even when I try to concentrate I end up focusing on a one word or phrase and see the bigger picture. It's so frustrating reading entire pages and realizing you have no clue what you just read.
Fragment Shadow
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm

Postby evrkrost » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:44 am

I am starting to see a pattern in the posts. It seems like there are more than a few people who seem to have this problem, and from what I'm reading i think its safe to say we may all have the same(or similar) symptoms. I wonder why this doesn't come up more often and why I cannot seem to find this topic or any suggestions/solutions on the web anywhere? I am ready to get this problem behind me, does anyone have any insight into solutions? Or at least what to ask about if I ever get into see a doc.?
Thanks
evrkrost
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Postby BonjourJakk » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:43 pm

I've never really read a full novel. I can read fine, but can't sustain reading- I get very bored, don't retain the information, forget what's happening, and get frustrated. There sure is a pattern here- It's comforting to know I'm not alone.
BonjourJakk
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post