Our partner

ADD Help

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

ADD Help

Postby exrec9 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Hello all,
When I was a child (looking back now) I had a high level of ADD but my father refused medication so I went through school and had a tough time. Now I'm 48 and find my ADD is out of control. I've been fired from jobs, pissed off family members etc as I cannot focus on anything. I do get spurts of attention but its never for what I should be doing. I've tried adderall, concerta, ritalin, focalin etc and find that even on escalating doses it works for a day or two then i'm back to my old ways. Last week, after running out of my adderall some 2-3 weeks before I went back to my concerta and started taking it. Then I doubled the dose! For 3 hours I was ultra focused and then boom, the next day nothing.

Its so hard finding a good doc, let alone therapist who doesn't watch the damn clock the whole time you are there. I'm looking for help and have no idea where to go. Forget books cant get through em. Even typing this out is painful but i know i need help.

Thank you
exrec9
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ADD Help

Postby DoDecaDon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Hey,

I have been diagnosed with A.D.D Aswell. Though I expect I have a co-morbid version/switching from hyper to inattentive.

I have been taking the adhd medication for around three years now, at first, it made me feel better in my mood and life felt happier, I was able to focus and feel good.

slowly though it "changed" and I thought it wasn't working anymore for me. What I have realized is that it is no longer making me happy but it is in fact still helping me concentrate.

I have found that I have to, "put in the work" receive that dopamine mood lift, (seems obvious really) and the adhd pill is only a tool I can use to help me get there. I now just take the medication that provides me to focus externally and not on my thoughts.

Sorry if this post is full of word salad, I'm a little dysregulated at the moment.

What i'm trying to say is that maybe it is still helping you focus but no longer providing you the mood lift?

I could be completely wrong though, this is only based on my experiences.
DoDecaDon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 pm

Postby Theymakeyouwait » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:52 pm

There is a myth that people with ADHD have a chemical imbalance. However when you adjust for IQ people with ADHD have similar if not the same amount of dopamine compared to people without the diagnosis. These drugs "work" by creating a chemical imbalance. The short term studies find that ADHD drugs do not improve academic performance, however they do make kids more attentive, manageable and less fidgety.
Long term these drugs worsen the very symptoms they are supposed to treat. The NIMH did a study and at 3 years those taking the drugs had worse symptoms compared to kids who never took the drugs. Kids on the drugs committed more crimes, got in trouble at school more and performed worse.
A Canadian review found little to no evidence of any benefits from long term stimulant use.
An Australian long term study found drugged children were 10 times more likely to be performing below age level in their school work compared to non-drugged children.
This means that long term ADHD drugs provide only negatives. Those negative include bi-polar and psychotic disorders. For example over 21 months 6% of people taking ADHD drugs developed bi-polar disease because of the drugs. Estimates are that 1 in 5 people who take these drugs will eventually developed another mental illness due to the drugs.

https://www.madinamerica.com/wp-content ... g-ADHD.pdf
Theymakeyouwait
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:02 pm

Postby DoDecaDon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:41 pm

Theymakeyouwait wrote:There is a myth that people with ADHD have a chemical imbalance. However when you adjust for IQ people with ADHD have similar if not the same amount of dopamine compared to people without the diagnosis. These drugs "work" by creating a chemical imbalance. The short term studies find that ADHD drugs do not improve academic performance, however they do make kids more attentive, manageable and less fidgety.
Long term these drugs worsen the very symptoms they are supposed to treat. The NIMH did a study and at 3 years those taking the drugs had worse symptoms compared to kids who never took the drugs. Kids on the drugs committed more crimes, got in trouble at school more and performed worse.
A Canadian review found little to no evidence of any benefits from long term stimulant use.
An Australian long term study found drugged children were 10 times more likely to be performing below age level in their school work compared to non-drugged children.
This means that long term ADHD drugs provide only negatives. Those negative include bi-polar and psychotic disorders. For example over 21 months 6% of people taking ADHD drugs developed bi-polar disease because of the drugs. Estimates are that 1 in 5 people who take these drugs will eventually developed another mental illness due to the drugs.

:mrgreen: I love a good troll too. I'll get back to this later.
DoDecaDon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 pm

Postby quietgirl2538 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:12 am

Theymakeyouwait wrote:There is a myth that people with ADHD have a chemical imbalance. However when you adjust for IQ people with ADHD have similar if not the same amount of dopamine compared to people without the diagnosis. These drugs "work" by creating a chemical imbalance. The short term studies find that ADHD drugs do not improve academic performance, however they do make kids more attentive, manageable and less fidgety.

No one here is a professional. Please only follow your Dr.'s instructions when dealing with anything medical. This is stated in the rules of the forum. Failure to follow these rules by posing as a professional can and will result in an eventual and permanent ban from the forum. Psychforums exists to be a supportive forum for all it's members.

quietgirl2538
Super Moderator
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (124)

Postby Theymakeyouwait » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:48 pm

*mod edit*
Last edited by quietgirl2538 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: when questioning a mod's work, it needs to be done through PM and not through the public forum as per forum rules
Theymakeyouwait
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:02 pm

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum