Our partner

SSRI? ADHD meds? Overwhelmed

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

SSRI? ADHD meds? Overwhelmed

Postby JosieWales » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:14 pm

I know it's different for everyone. I just would like to get input from people here, if you all don't mind.

Quick background: At 7, we had a psychiatrist evaluate our son because he was having trouble at school, was endlessly fidgeting and active, and was angry a lot. He was dx'ed with mild ADHD, ODD, Tourette's, OCD. The psych didn't recommend medication at the time, because our son was so young and, like us, felt like he could get better with age and practice.

Now our son is about to turn 10. He's angry and hateful a lot, has said he wants to be dead, has anxiety and depression (he admits he is both anxious and depressed). I feel like most of this stems from ADHD, which his doctor has said he definitely has at an earlier appt this summer. His doc called in Zoloft, 12.5mg, just a couple of weeks ago. We've been holding off on starting it, as we talk with him and each other. I feel like at this point, treating the ADHD might be better, as well as starting behavior cognitive therapy (starts Friday). He does NOT want to take meds--he is afraid they'll change him or make him 'someone different.' He's so bright, so sweet, so amazing when he's not consumed by anger or fear or anxiety. But he is anxious every day, and his self-esteem is suffering because he has struggled in school so much (with behavior and focusing on work), and is in trouble at home a lot too. He does have some good friends who accept him as-is, and he seems genuinely happy with them. He interacts w/them well, but gets very angry with other kids who do things that 'bother' him (weird noises, loud noises).

I feel like we've waited long enough, but I'm not sure an SSRI is really the best option here. We see his regular doc on Friday as well. I feel guilty for 1) not giving him the Zoloft yet, like his doc thinks I should; 2) not medicating his ADHD earlier in life when it probably would've been of benefit and also easier to convince him it's best for him; and 3) general parental guilt. None of which is helpful, but there it is.

Any thoughts here? Sorry for the novella, on my very first post. And, thank you.
JosieWales
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun May 19, 2019 8:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: SSRI? ADHD meds? Overwhelmed

Postby Mitmit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:41 pm

have you tried omega 3 fatty acids?

with out those my medicine wouldnt work.

38, adhd,
Mitmit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 3:18 am

Postby Mitmit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Mitmit wrote:have you tried omega 3 fatty acids?

with out those my medicine wouldnt work.

38, adhd,

you should google how omega 3 supports children's brain
Mitmit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 3:18 am

Postby JosieWales » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Yes, I'm aware of omega-3s! We've been working on that. He's very resistant to taking ANYTHING.
JosieWales
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun May 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post